Hitchhiking in Afghanistan. Advice needed.

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
Vagabondish

Hitchhiking in Afghanistan. Advice needed.

Post by Vagabondish »

Hi everyone.

I would like to hear mainly firsthand experiences from people who have Hitchhiked in Afghanistan or who have traveled there recently by other methods , flying and tours excluded. Or if you live there or have any contacts in the country. Maybe a host?

Which parts are considered "safe" at the moment and which parts are absolute No-no's? Which border crossings are recommended?

I'm Hitchhiking to Europe after 5 years in Asia and now me and my current Hitchhiking buddy are in Kyrgyzstan. The "plan" was maybe to enter Afghanistan from Tajikistan. But to be honest I'm doing all of the countries around here so any border-crossings and areas in Afghanistan could be a valid option.

I usually never do any planning but realize that this is one of the countries that need some precaution. I also get that basically everyone is recommending against this. But it seems like that most do so without any actual facts and all their knowledge comes from mainstream media or these one-in-a-million horror stories. So I want to see it with my own eyes. But at the same time I'm trying to not be one of the stupid white guys ending up killed in a YouTube video. So I want to hear your input.

Cheers
Kim
0 x

SPR11

Re: Hitchhiking in Afghanistan. Advice needed.

Post by SPR11 »

This is the most comprehensive and up-to-date guide you'll find: https://www.lostwithpurpose.com/afghani ... avel-guide. We maintain contact with people on the ground all the time, and according to them the situation is as bad as it's ever been since 2001. The only places that are considered safe (which is a very relative term in Afghanistan) are Kabul, Herat, Mazar-i-Sharif and Bamiyan, but all these except Bamiyan have seen an increase in violence lately.

Traveling overland is strongly discouraged. Not only do Taliban checkpoints pop up, kidnapping is a real threat. Most Afghans are very poor, and Taliban and others pay good money for a hostage. So a crime of opportunity is easily committed. Flying between cities is the only recommended option. Overland travel is available, but our Kabulian friend put it like this: "sometimes it's your day, and nothing happens. Sometimes it's Taliban's day, and you're fucked". When we were there, the road between Kabuk and Mazar was closed by the government due to increased Taliban activity in the region.

As for border crossings, the crossing in Tajikistan is only for travel to the Wakhan Corridor. Traveling further inland from here is practically impossible, unless you're suicidal. The border crossing from Uzbekistan to Mazar is an option (read about it here: https://www.lostwithpurpose.com/uzbekis ... -hairatan/), and the border between Iran and Afghanistan near Herat is also open.
2 x
Ramblings about our Asian journies at www.lostwithpurpose.com
There's some useful info too.

Vagabondish

Re: Hitchhiking in Afghanistan. Advice needed.

Post by Vagabondish »

Thanks for some great info! Will take this into consideration. 🙂👍
0 x