Aktau to Nukus by train

The Silk Road by train. Experts: Milad, Provodnik
killroy2000

Re: Aktau to Nukus by train

Post by killroy2000 »

Hi there, we - small family of three - will travel from Germany to Uzbekistan in Jan and Feb 2023. Coming via Georgia we will take the SCAT-Flight to Aktau and from there head on via train to Uzbekistan. I already have the UZrailway app with an account and found out about the different trains to Beineu and the one from Beineu to Nukus leaving on early Monday and Wednesday morning. If I look into the app there is another train shown, but greyed out. Beineu - Nukus , leaving Beineu at 01:03 AM, arriving Nukus at 11:14 AM. Train number 123. That train goes on via Urgench down to Buchara aso. Does anybody know, if this train is running and if yes, where can I get tickets for it? We want to go to Khiva first, so avoiding a long stopover in Nukus would be perfect. Are there any other travel options from Nukus to Khiva? The Beineu-Train 648 arrives there late afternoon/early evening and the next train going down south departs the next day and takes 8 hours to go down to the region around Khiva.

Thanks for all advices
Henrik
0 x

sebhoff

Post by sebhoff »

That's the train from Volgograd to Tashkent, leaving every Monday (from Beineu). I see that tickets are available if you book from Volgograd to Nukus (e.g. via https://pass.rw.by/en), but not from Beineu. The same is true on Kazakh booking pages such as https://tickets.kz or https://www.railways.kz. My hunch is that these short trips can't be booked on long-distance trains but that you are probably going to be able to buy tickets at the station once you are there. But perhaps one of the train experts here can confirm this?
The most convenient way to get from Nukus to Khiva seems to be by private car transfer. There are many places in Nukus that can arrange this for you.
Sebastian
0 x

killroy2000

Post by killroy2000 »

Thanks Sebastian, so at least the train is running short after midnight on mondays. That would be perfect for us. Now the next question is, if there will be the opportunity to buy tickets for Beineu - Urgench.

Also, can somebody tell me, if those Kazachian and Uzbekian trains from Aktau to Beineu, Nukus, Urgench, Buchara and Tashkent do have dining cars?
0 x

Milad
Trains expert
Trains expert

Post by Milad »

All long-distance trains in Uzbekistan should have a dining car. There is always a small risk that you won't get food though (dining car broken, cook ill, ...). I'm not sure about the Kazakh train from Aktau to Beineu.
0 x

sebhoff

Post by sebhoff »

I haven't worked out any truly reliable rules for Central Asian trains... My night train from Termez to Tashkent didn't have a dining car but all others I used in the country did. Bishkek to Astana didn't have one (and the train went on to Samara, if I remember correctly). All of the modern Kazakh trains did, though. My hunch is that the older the rolling stock is, the lower the chances of having a dining car.
Most locals bring their own food, and there's hot water to use with instant noodles and the like on every carriage.
Sebastian
0 x

itfcfan

Post by itfcfan »

Most long-distance trains in Kazakhstan have dining cars, but I fear they'll gradually follow the trend from Russia and downgrade from dining cars to onboard kiosks and then to nothing at all.

Here's a translation of a Kazakh government statement last month following complaints about fewer dining cars:
Why are there no dining cars on some trains?

Restaurant cars are currently running on all railway routes with a trip duration of more than 24 hours. This is stated in the response of the Prime Minister of the Republic of Kazakhstan Alikhan Smailov to the request of the deputies of the Senate, Kazinform correspondent reports.

“Restaurant cars are not subsidised in accordance with the rules for subsidising the carrier's losses associated with the implementation of passenger transportation on socially significant messages. In this regard, the purchase of new dining cars for carriers is unprofitable, to provide passengers with food, passenger trains running short distances (up to one day) include compartment buffets from modernised compartment cars for trains,” said Alikhan Smailov.
Source: https://www.inform.kz/ru/pochemu-v-neko ... y_a4024060
1 x

killroy2000

Post by killroy2000 »

Hi again, I would like to ask again about information for the train Volgograd - Tashkent.

It's now URGENT, we're right now in Armenia and fly into Aktau on 12.02. in the morning. Want to leave Aktau the same day to Beineu and then with a train into Uzbekistan.

There is a train No. 123, running from Volgograd to Tashkent, that is passing Beineu on 13.02. early in the morning (around 1 am). We want to take this train in coupe class till Nukus or Urgench. But on all ticket portals it says, that there are no tickets available. Which is bullshit, because I easily would get a complete compartment from somewhere in Russia down to Uzbekistan in the SAME TRAIN. So those compartements are far away from being sold out. RussianRailways.com says me, it's an Uzbek train, UZrailways doesn't answer any e-mail, all the other ticket agencys don't know anything. It's a miracle, why I can't get tickets for this train - as it is not sold out. The train is listed in the UZrailways app, but greyed out.

Has anybody any suggestions? Can I get tickets right in Beineu on the 12.02. in the evening? Is there a ticket office there, that somebody is serving on a sunday evening? Does anybody know any ticket agencies, that can help? would it be a problem (apart from the higher price) to buy tickets starting in Russia for this train, but then enter it hours later in Beineu, Kaz.?

And yes, I know of the 03.40 am train to Nukus, but we really would prefer the earlier one. It's way faster and the other one only has 3rd class sleepers.

I'm grateful for ANY suggestion and helpful idea.

Thank you
Henrik
P.S.: if you like to join, we blog on www.nixverschieben.de
0 x

Milad
Trains expert
Trains expert

Post by Milad »

Often, such trains are available for advance ticket purchase only for journeys starting in the country of departure (Russia). Free places will become available for purchase from Beineu later (maybe 48/24 hours before departure, maybe as soon as the train has left Volgograd, maybe as soon as it has crossed the border). If the train is not sold out, you will be able to buy tickets before departure in Beineu. If all else fails, it may be possible to pay directly (inofficially) to the provodniki. This is quite normal for Uzbek trains in Kazakhstan, although I have rarely seen people bribing the provodniki for international journeys.
0 x

killroy2000

Post by killroy2000 »

Thanks Milad, we now decided to change the route - will go from Aktau to Chimkent from Monday till Wednesday, then overnight to Tashkent. Will skip Nukus (Aral Sea) and Khiva, therefore get the experience of sitting in a Kazach long distance train for one and a half days. Will be fun
0 x

duffajfka

Post by duffajfka »

Took the train from Beyneu to Nukus last week. The КТЖ Билеты app showed me free places. I bought the ticket directly at Beyneu station, they only take cash but there is a working ATM. It is a bit overpriced because of crossing the border. Kazakh trains run on Nursultan time so it is leaving at 00:03 local time already. It was not so obvious to find the train, it didn't go from the platform but from another track behind other trains. I highly recommend to board the train earlier (at least 30m) as the Kazakh border control is taking place during the time in Beyneu already.
1 x