Border areas -- is there some police / guards to check?

All about Kazakhstan. Experts: Julia, walkingalmaty
3times_around

Border areas -- is there some police / guards to check?

Post by 3times_around »

What happens when you show up to some area where you're supposed to have a Border Permit, but don;t have it?

Is there some police / guard at every such place?
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Border areas -- is there some police / guards to check?

Post by steven »

Yes, there is. It really depends. Sometimes nobody notices you, sometimes people get caught. I have heard people talk their way out of it, others had to pay a fine, still others had to do the whole prison-court case-deportation thing.bso it really depends on circumstances what will happen.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Leonie

Post by Leonie »

I also have a question about the border permits. We wanted to rent a car to go to the Kolsai lakes with a couple from Almaty. I was wondering if this is possible, or would it cause problems with the police? And, must one have a permit to go there in order to avoid any trouble?
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

No, no border permit necessary there. Just don't speed :-) enjoy!
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Leonie

Post by Leonie »

0 x

3times_around

Post by 3times_around »

Hello Leonie, are you seeking more people to share transport to Kolsai Lakes?
I wrote about this in another post.

Steven, thanks. Just reading abt Altai road to Lake Marakol, etc. What's the Border Guard / Permit situation there? (yes, realize, responses must warn about worst case. Having traveled almost all countries , and many twice, i'm on 3rd time around nd some things like waiting 10-15 business days are a real put off )
It would be really cool to go beyond Lake Marakol (where Russia-Mongolia-China-KZ almost meet) and cross the border KZ into China , navigate the mountain areas until the nearest China town.

I have multi-year, multi-entry China Visa, so not a problem.
Some friends consult me on Visa's, as for example, obtaining (while on the road, not in country of residence) all that were needed to go North to South on west side of Africa... blah blah blah .... and as u know many times regulations are overblown ... but i just haven't been in KZ for a while, and perhaps since two massive devaluations in the currency + Russia invasion into Crimea + threatening/hinting to other countries such as KZ, perhaps KZ is very picky.
Glad to see Kyrgyzstan got rid o its embassy in KZ (and elsewhere) as those guys were corrupt taking extra money.
0 x