Dehydrated food and groceries outside Bishkek?

All about Kyrgyzstan.
velowallah

Dehydrated food and groceries outside Bishkek?

Post by velowallah »

Can I find dehydrated meals (the type you can find in outdoor shops), in Naryn? Are grocery shops there fairly well stocked? And what about groceries in Chaek and Baetov, and smaller places like Kyzyl-Oi and Susaamyr?
0 x

Christian77
Tajikistan expert
Tajikistan expert

Re: Dehydrated food and groceries outside Bishkek?

Post by Christian77 »

Outside of Bishkek you can count on bread, pasta and rice in the little grocery stores. In some of the bigger towns you can find a granola mix and snack-food. But if you want dehydrated food you need to go to one of the two outdoor stores in Bishkek. But I honestly don't know if they stock that stuff.

As for Naryn, they are always well-stocked with cigarettes and vodka after 5pm when everything closes. This isn't Kathmandu. Get used to snickers bars, bread, pasta and sausages. Or bring your own stuff from home.
1 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Post by bwv812 »

You can get things like oats and buckwheat/grechka in supermarkets in Bishkek and possibly smaller places as well. Not dehydrated meals, though.
0 x

velowallah

Post by velowallah »

Sounds like even Naryn doesn't have much? Wouldn't things like nuts, dried fruits, and lentils be easy to find, at least in Naryn but possibly in the other smaller towns? I could probably survive with these basic items and a dozen dehydrated meals brought from home.
0 x

Christian77
Tajikistan expert
Tajikistan expert

Post by Christian77 »

I usually see good dried fruit in most places (mostly raisins and apricots), and not so great nuts (decent almonds and cashews are hard to find in the regions). As for lentils. I'm not sure. I never cook while trekking, so I'm not really aware of the situations with beans and that sort of thing... Maybe go on Google maps and click on the markets. They usually have photos attached these days in Kyrgyzstan.
0 x