Storing luggage during hikes

All about Kyrgyzstan.
oliver96

Storing luggage during hikes

Post by oliver96 »

Hi everyone,

I'm going to travel through all of Asia for an indefinite period of time and will make it to central Asia this summer. I was wondering if there are any possibilities in Bishkek, Karakol, Kochkor or other places to store luggage, while going out on (multi-day) treks? I don't want to carry my electronics like my laptop, the clothes I don't need for hiking, etc. on these hikes. Do hotels and hostels offer storage for multiple days like this?

Any info is appreciated - thanks!

BR
Oliver
0 x

willemspie

Re: Storing luggage during hikes

Post by willemspie »

Yes, most accomodations such as homestays will accept.
1 x

Christian77
Tajikistan expert
Tajikistan expert

Post by Christian77 »

In Kochkor they definitely store luggage because it's a horse trekking destination, and they don't want you trying to strap a bunch of gear to their horses.

In Karakol it's the same for the trekkers. It is a common request. But not all places are equal. KbH Hostel has a nice secure room with racks and a lock on the door. Other places also had a dedicated storage room, but maybe not locked. Some family-run places just stick the luggage in their house (very secure).

Elsewhere, I would go to a family-run guesthouse. This is very important: family-run. This means that the managers live there, and your bag will be with them right next to where you were sleeping. Some hostels and guesthouses have some random kid managing the place who goes home at the end of the day and is replaced by another random kid. I stored my bag at one place and returned a week later to find that the employee who stored my bag no longer worked there and the current employee had no idea where a bag would have been stored. I had to wait until the cleaner showed up and let me into assorted supply closets and utility rooms to search for my bag.
1 x

oliver96

Post by oliver96 »

Thanks a lot to both of you! That's great to know, really appreciate the infos!
0 x