Money exchange scams in Bishkek

All about Kyrgyzstan.
Christian77
Tajikistan expert
Tajikistan expert

Money exchange scams in Bishkek

Post by Christian77 »

Over the last few years I have experienced myself, and heard directly from tourists, about some currency exchange scams in Bishkek. These involve: (1) not handing over the full amount of Kyrgyz Som in hopes that the tourist does not notice, or (2) saying that your dollar or euro banknotes are "no good" because of some small blemish or ink mark (but then trying to give you a much lower exchange rate for your "no good" banknote), or (3) claiming that there is a "service fee" (there is not, in Kyrgyzstan they make their money in the exchange difference, not based on fees).

That seems to be the full range of scams.

There is an easy fix for this: go to an exchange inside a bank. It is slower, available only during bank hours, and you have to hand over your passport, but I have never had a problem inside a bank with the women who work there. On the other hand, all the scams are run by young men at the street level quick exchanges. I avoid these guys, especially in the centre of Bishkek (no problems in the regions).
3 x

adi

Re: Money exchange scams in Bishkek

Post by adi »

My experience over the last week.
1) crossing from Almaty to Bishkek by bus:
The rate for Tenge cash was fair at the border only, but -25% in town. Euro and Dollar 5% better in town.
2) using several different exchange offices, mostly Euro cash, all near Osh bazar in Bishkek not one attempt to short change, like I experienced 10 years ago. Minor fluctuations between shops. Be suspicious if you get a large wad of low denomination notes.
3) one guy refused Euro 20 notes he wanted 50s only, this was also the only one that didn't have those counting/checking machines. Next door no problems (near Tsum/Sovietskaya). Also changed US 20s but they were pristine.
4) Rates at Manas airport about 2 Som less than in town.
2 x