Russia entry restriction

Azerbaijan, Pakistan, Mongolia, Russia, Caucasus and beyond. Expert: Milad
krapula

Re: Russia entry restriction

Post by krapula »

Hello friends, next May I will enter Russia from Georgia and I have heard that from June our insurance green letters will not serve us in Russian territory, what is known about this issue? Does anyone have information about it?
0 x

thetravely

Post by thetravely »

two days ago we went from Georgia through Russia to Kazakhstan. Everything went smooth. Everybody was friendly.
Before we sent our passports (italian passports) from Turkey home to Italy to get a russian visa. That took about 3 weeks. No special forms or documents needed.

Here's our experience with the georgian-russian and russian-kazakh border and our journey through Russia:

Border crossing Georgia - Russia
Duration: 5 hours
06/01/2023

Arriving at the border, only the driver is allowed to stay in the car. Passengers must use a separate passage (house on the far right).
In the meantime, the driver continues to passport control/customs. A quick car check and exit stamp in your passport - done. Takes about 10 minutes.

The Russian border post is a few kilometers away.
Passports are briefly checked at the first barrier. Then you have to join the queue of cars on the far right. Depending on how busy it is, the queue moves extremely slowly.
Arriving at the checkpoints, you first have to go to passport control (first container office per lane). There the Russian visa is checked, the data is recorded and the passport is stamped.
If everything is in order, this will take around 5 minutes.
If officials decide that your visa or passport deserves an additional check, it may take (much) longer.
After passport control, you go to the vehicle check. Here the vehicle is briefly searched & you get a square note from the officer.

Then we go to the customs office - this is the most annoying and often most tedious point at the Russian border crossing.
A customs document must be filled out at the customs desk. (The document is available at the counter. An English version is also available.)
If the customs officer finds an error, the document must be filled out again.

Immediately after the border, on the right-hand side of the road, there are several small offices where you can get Russian car insurance. (We paid around 2.300 rubles for 15 days.)

Journey through Russia

We personally chose the track Wladikwakas - Grosny - Kochubei - Astrachan - a distance of around 700km for which we needed about 1,5 days.

The roads were in very good condition the whole way (only the last 80km before the Russian-Kazakh border were in worse condition).

There were numerous gas stations along the route. The diesel cost the equivalent of around €0.50/l. Gasoline was a little cheaper.

Personally, we had little contact with the locals and when we did, it was with the employees at the gas station (all very friendly) or the police at one of the many checkpoints.
Overall we got stopped at 5 regular checkpoints.
Every time the police officers were happy to see tourists, but most of the time they didn't really know what to do with us (only a few spoke English). Passports and visas were then usually checked. Sometimes also the vehicle registration document.
Attention: Western credit cards do not work in Russia at the moment! Traveling through Russia requires either carrying enough Russian rubles in cash or applying for a Russian debit card in advance.

Border Russia - Kazakhstan
Duration: 3 hours in total
06/02/2023

The russian border is so small that only 2-3 cars and 1-2 trucks can be processed per side. In other words: depending on the workload, long queues can form in front of the border fence.
We personally had to wait almost 2 hours until we were at the border fence. (Unlike in Iran or Iraq, for example, there is no honking or crowding despite the long waiting times - everyone lines up peacefully and stays in line.)

At the border fence you will be given a small piece of paper per person. After the border fence, cars have to turn right and trucks stay in the middle lane.
There is a short or more detailed vehicle check. (In our case, the officer first insisted that we empty our entire car, but then he was satisfied with 2-3 bags cleaned out.)
Then all passengers have to go to the passport control counter (small house). Here the passport, the visa, the small note from the border fence and the vehicle registration document are checked and you get the exit stamp.
With the stamped little piece of paper you can then drive up to the barrier and leave Russia.

A few kilometers of no man's land follow before you stand in front of the Kazakh border barrier. Here you will be given a small, numbered piece of paper for each person.
This is used to drive to the next barrier.
There the passengers then have to go through a separate border crossing (large house on the right-hand side). There are several passport control counters in the building. Depending on the occupancy, you will get your entry stamp in a few minutes and with a friendly "Welcome to Kazahstan!".
In the meantime, the driver must drive the car to vehicle, passport and customs control. There, too, everything goes very quickly and is done in a few minutes.
After that, the passengers can be collected again. You have now successfully entered Kazakhstan!

PS: most Europeans can enter Kazakhstan visa-free!

Just after the border there are a lot of small (a bit shabby) container offices on the right hand side. Here you can take out a Kazakh car insurance (we paid the equivalent of around 31€ for 15 days). You can also buy a SIM card at one of the mini markets (Beeline 25GB valid for 1 month for around 7,500 Tenge).

hope this helps.
Safe travels :)
3 x

Lagerfeld

Russia entry restriction

Post by Lagerfeld »

Hi, thetravely, thank's a lot for your very good and detailed report.
In the middle of April I went exactly the same way, BUT: I stayed in Grosny 3 days to see and meet my friends.

What this means: 06/01/2023 - is this the 1st of June 2023 ?

Pls let me know which way in KZ you used? I'm still now in Almaty.

After the border RUS --> KZ it was already late + dark, I found a nice hotel at the way and they allowed me to sleep at the parking place - look here:

[img]https://up.picr.de/45781030hd.jpg[/img]

[img]https://up.picr.de/45781033rf.jpg[/img]

Pls let me know where are you now?
Last edited by Lagerfeld on Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

MichalG

Post by MichalG »

Excellent repot, very informative!
My friend and I are planning to cross Russia from Georgia to Kazakhstan in July and your message really put me at ease!
0 x

Ggola

Post by Ggola »

Same experience for us (Italian passport as well). We actually got a tourist visa back home and we crossed the border between Georgia and Russia two days ago and planning to spend two weeks in Russia before entering Kazakhstan. The border crossing was easy but very slow for the temporary permit for the car. We spent 6 hours at the border although we arrived at 7am and exiting Georgia and checking passport in Russia only took 30 mins in total. Officers were really nice though. In Russia people are extremely friendly, just a little surprised to see western tourists in these regions.
1 x

Lagerfeld

Russia entry restriction

Post by Lagerfeld »

@ Ggola: Can you pls tell me the date you crossed the border GEO --> RUS ?
Yes, the paper for the car permit takes a long time. I only wait half hour for the English version of this document. But this document is valid for 1 year, I think or not ?

Are you travelling by car or motorbike?

Yes, 6 hours for this border is normal, the GEO-control was only 20 min, most of the time the Russian need.
I used this border [ = Georgian Military Highway ] many times to visiting my friends in Grosny.

Thank's for your reply.
0 x

CTS

Post by CTS »

We intend to enter Russia via Kazakhstan (Astana side) to Moscow and exit Finland or Estonia via motorcycle in August with tourist visa. Any advice or information. Thank you.
0 x

zumacaya

Post by zumacaya »

Hello! Right now in the north of Moscow. We are travelling for 10 days in Russia.

Our plan is to cross to kazakhstan.

We enter Russia by land border in Latvia. The border its a total nightmare. 4 days to cross the border waiting in a line for just 30 cars. So… be patient.

No problems with nothing more. We get a six months visa in our origin country (you can do it with international shipping’s if you are out), we get SIM card with no problems, and a lot of banks change money (no visa and Mastercard, so you need cash, euro or dollar).

In Russia, at least the European side, all its TOALLY normal.
We are recording some videos (the 4 days at border, testimonials of locals) for our YouTube channel (in Spanish), and when will go online, we can put a link here (it’s possible).

If any one have any question…
0 x

TautTruffle

Post by TautTruffle »

Yes, an obvious question. How did you all managed to get visas in the current international context?
0 x

TornadoTim

Post by TornadoTim »

According to the Russian Foreign Ministry from 01.08.2023 there's going to be an eVisa for the whole Russian Federation, after it was announced in 2020.

https://mid.ru/ru/foreign_policy/news/1897895/
2 x