Special permit for Surxondaryo region

All about Uzbekistan.
bamboo

Special permit for Surxondaryo region

Post by bamboo »

Hello,

I'm an U.S passport holder and planning to travel to Uzbekistan next summer, and Termez (Surxondaryo) is on my to-see list. Anyone here has traveled to this region and applied for the special permit?

Regards,
0 x

Christian77
Tajikistan expert
Tajikistan expert

Re: Special permit for Surxondaryo region

Post by Christian77 »

To be clear, you mean the permit to see the two historical sites near the border? Nobody needs a permit to be in the city or on the main roads to and from the rest of Uzbekistan and Tajikistan.
0 x

bamboo

Post by bamboo »

@Christian: ohh I had no idea there are 2 historical sites near the border. I thought most of the historical sites are in Termez.
0 x

Neil McNeilface

Post by Neil McNeilface »

@bamboo: Did you go to Surxondaryo?

I'm told current Australian government advice says
"You need an official permit for any travel to:
- Termez on the Afghan border
- areas of Surkhandarya in the south-east"

i.e. more than just the two historical sites.

UK government advice is
"The FCDO advises against all travel to the Termez region and to within 5km from the Uzbekistan-Afghanistan border.
The land border with Afghanistan is currently closed."

I was wanting to go there and back by overnight train.
0 x

Kasia

Post by Kasia »

Last year I went to Surxondaryo - and nobody ever asked me for any permits. You can visit most of the historical sites outside of town without any hussle, even for Kara Tepe (that is often described as restricted) I did not need any document besides the entrance tickets you can buy on site.

Be aware that it is very hot in the south of UZB: end of May we had between 40 and 43 degrees Celcius, no breeze - bring lots of water and sun protection for head and body. Better to start very early in the morning and (budget permitting) take a car + driver to bring you to the sites.

Train travel was easy: I used the night train between Tashkent and Termez and back. But as the train is literally baked while waiting in Termez, it was very hot inside when we started our way back north. Be ready to fight with the provodnik for the windows to stay open (at least for the first part of the journey, until you reach the cooler mountains near Boysun).

Safe travels!
Katrin
1 x

OWNER

Post by OWNER »

I was in Uzbekistan in the fall of 2021, I traveled by car from Kazakhstan (Alma-Ata) to Uzbekistan. This route included Tashkent, Samarkand and Bukhara, Termez. No additional permissions are needed. Tourist police work very well in Uzbekistan, go to their website and ask a question. I made friends with a member of such a police force in Termez, at the Termezi memorial.

The next photo shows the border checkpoint to Afghanistan.

1 x

bamboo

Post by bamboo »

Neil McNeilface wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:52 am
@bamboo: Did you go to Surxondaryo?

I'm told current Australian government advice says
"You need an official permit for any travel to:
- Termez on the Afghan border
- areas of Surkhandarya in the south-east"

i.e. more than just the two historical sites.

UK government advice is
"The FCDO advises against all travel to the Termez region and to within 5km from the Uzbekistan-Afghanistan border.
The land border with Afghanistan is currently closed."

I was wanting to go there and back by overnight train.
No, I did not. I’m planning to go this summer. I’ve contacted a tour guide and he will check.
0 x

bamboo

Post by bamboo »

Kasia wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:58 am
Last year I went to Surxondaryo - and nobody ever asked me for any permits. You can visit most of the historical sites outside of town without any hussle, even for Kara Tepe (that is often described as restricted) I did not need any document besides the entrance tickets you can buy on site.

Be aware that it is very hot in the south of UZB: end of May we had between 40 and 43 degrees Celcius, no breeze - bring lots of water and sun protection for head and body. Better to start very early in the morning and (budget permitting) take a car + driver to bring you to the sites.

Train travel was easy: I used the night train between Tashkent and Termez and back. But as the train is literally baked while waiting in Termez, it was very hot inside when we started our way back north. Be ready to fight with the provodnik for the windows to stay open (at least for the first part of the journey, until you reach the cooler mountains near Boysun).

Safe travels!
Katrin
How did you get to Kara Tepe? Did you drive there or hire a car and a driver?
0 x

Kasia

Post by Kasia »

[/quote]
[/quote]

I went with a driver that was organized by my guesthouse in Termez: 200.000 UZS (ecxl. entrance tickets) for 6 hours.
The tour (for most drivers this is the standard tour) included Stupa Zurmala, Fayaz Tepa, Kara Tepa, Al Hakkim At Termizi Mousoleum / Old Termez, Kyr Kyz, Kokildor Khanaka, Sultan Saodat Complex.
0 x

bamboo

Post by bamboo »

Kasia wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:46 pm
[/quote]

I went with a driver that was organized by my guesthouse in Termez: 200.000 UZS (ecxl. entrance tickets) for 6 hours.
The tour (for most drivers this is the standard tour) included Stupa Zurmala, Fayaz Tepa, Kara Tepa, Al Hakkim At Termizi Mousoleum / Old Termez, Kyr Kyz, Kokildor Khanaka, Sultan Saodat Complex.
[/quote]

This is exactly what I need. Can I have the name of your guesthouse, please?
0 x