Getting from Bukhara to Dushanbe

All about Uzbekistan.
bwv812
China expert
China expert

Re: Getting from Bukhara to Dushanbe

Post by bwv812 »

The trunk is usually occupied by a big LPG canister.
0 x

Traveller11

Post by Traveller11 »

Reply to bwv812, lissie45 & steven.....

Postby bwv812 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:02 am
I think you may have to adjust your expectations. You aren't going to find modern long-distance buses or even Mercedes Sprinters on the road. You will find built-in-Uzbekistan Daewoo/Chrysler share taxis that are dirt cheap by Western standards. If you need more space, simply charter the entire taxi—it will still be very cheap.

Must admit that I did not think there would be all these 'problems' to get around in Central Asia

Postby lissie45 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:32 pm
Sorry I gotta question your luggage - why on earth do you need so much? Why would you spend so much effort to carry laundry with you? Get your luggage down to carry on size and you'll literally free yourself. Central Asia has laundries (I assume, havent' been there yet, but the rest of the world does!)

Number of reasons for Hard Shell Suitcases:
1) Each case contains 50% of each others clothes, so if one gets ‘lost’ in transit (Which has happened!) then we are covered while the lost case is found and repatriated or we get the compensation to re-stock.
2) As you need to pack based on the limit of the lowest weight airline then 7Kg is now the limit that we find ourselves stuck with. Then if you don’t wish for your checked luggage to be stolen from, (Which has also happened!) you put all your electrical items in your carry on.
3) I am conscious that Central Asia have laundries and their prices are good with excellent service as advised by friends, BUT you forget that due to allergies that some people suffer from some of us have to also carry our own special soap powder for clothes washing.
4) I also use hard shell suitcases after two incidents that happened to me. The first was when my ‘cloth case’ disappeared and was thought to have been injected with drugs in a liquid form which were then recovered after the suitcase reached its destination, while the other was when my video camera battery recharge unit was stolen from out of the case after it passed through the x-ray machine just after check in, while the case was presented to me with a strip of sticky tape over the cut in the fabric where the item had been removed.

Postby steven » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:21 am
I think 2 medium-sized suitcases and 2 rucksacks can fit in the trunk of a Nexia. You can find a picture here: https://www.drive2.com/r/daewoo/1161065/

We also have this model over here, but normally with a larger engine.

Postby bwv812 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:30 am
The trunk is usually occupied by a big LPG canister.

Oops!
That could be a ‘problem’ unless Taxis come with ‘secure roof racks’!
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

bwv is right, I forgot about that. Still, I don't think it is going to be an issue. Stuff like tv's, washing machines, bags of flour, ... all needs to get to the village somehow. People are very resourceful.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Traveller11

Post by Traveller11 »

Well in the 57 Countries I have visited so far on this Planet of ours I have never been in a Taxi with a Washing Machine in the next seat let alone a Bag of Flour! :o
BUT there is always a first time! :) :)

Thanks for the input Folks.
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

This summer I was in a Jeep with 13 people plus all their shopping (which wasn't little) on the top. There was still space for our bags :-)

Not saying it was ideal, just saying anything is possible.
0 x

Traveller11

Post by Traveller11 »

Hi steven,

Thanks for the input of your experience!

For a minute I was not sure if you were bragging, complaining or hoping for an entry in the Guinness Book of World Records! :lol:

I will keep your 'Travel Preferences' in mind as 'Likes LOTS of company with him!

Best wishes and seriously Thank You.
1 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

You are welcome :-)
0 x