Is my medication allowed in Uzbekistan? Q&A

All about Uzbekistan.
DJJ

Re: Is my medication allowed in Uzbekistan? Q&A

Post by DJJ »

Just to clarify....I don't know about other states in the US, but New York State (where I live) requires that doctors send digital orders direct to pharmacies. (I'm told there are some exceptions to this, but I haven't seen or held a doctor's "script" in YEARS.) Hence my question....

From your and other reassuring comments, it sounds like the medication I take that's on the restricted list will now be ok across the land border...so long as it's in a properly labeled container and (even better) supported by a pharmacy "docket" I can obtain showing the doctor's name and prescribing information. And that, in light of the country's new "green lane" attitude, visitors are no longer required to declare their restricted medicine.
1 x

MarkPanama

Post by MarkPanama »

I take diazepam for flying, a restricted medicine in Uzbekistan. Armed with a copy of my prescription plus a doctor's letter I completed a customs declaration form on arrival at Tashkent airport. It wasn't obvious who to approach for approval - an official next to the X-Ray machines just before the exit processed and stamped my forms (in duplicate) but didn't search my luggage.

I was more concerned with crossing land borders where it sounded like bag searches are more thorough and officials hawkish. However at the Samarkand-Penjikent border the officials couldn't have been less interested in my declaration form if they tried - it was just handed back to me on leaving Uzbekistan.

I didn't declare anything on entering or leaving Tajikistan, and returned to Samarkand the same day. Again I was concerned about the upcoming land border crossing at Nukus-Konye Urgench border (Uzbekistan-Turkmenistan), and wanted to ensure I had an official stamped form at the Penjikent-Samarkand border.

But as the Uzbek officials handed back my original form I decided not to complete another one when returning via Penjikent. I got the impression no officials would have known what to do anyway, and no-one asked about currency/medicines etc. So I re-entered Uzbekistan with my original declaration form. Obviously there's no guarantee this will work for everyone, and different officials may do things differently. But I definintely got the impression, at that border at least, that it wasn't a concern.

On leaving Uzbekistan again, at Nukus-Konye Urgench for Turkmenistan, no bag search occurred and no-one checked my declaration form. In Turkmenistan I declared the diazepam on their form. Officials read it then did a quick bag search - they asked to see the diazepam packet, after which they said it didn't need declaring. They kept the declaration form.

So all in all I had no problems. I also declared currency as I had over $2,000 cash but that wasn't a problem either.

www.thisotherworld.co.uk/uzbekistan2.html
2 x

Allan32

Post by Allan32 »

I originally had a prescription for risperidone 1 mg a day a couple years ago, I fell off an employer's insurance so I have been buying from online overseas. It's a prescription drug in the US but I know in many places you can buy it over the counter. Does anyone know if this drug is found over the counter in Uzbekistan? Should I have much of an issue if I arrive with it in its Indian packaging with no prescription or doctors note? I looked on the ban list and I didn't find it on these despite the fact it's a psychotropic. I'll also be here long term so I will be carrying a fairly large amount ( few hundred tablets). Thanks.
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Nowadays it's no longer an issue bringing in "tricky" medication in Uzbekistan. I have kept the warning up until now just in case, but I should probably take it down now, because it just freaks people out without good reason.

So you should be fine without prescription. You don't get checked anymore. Don't know if you can buy it in Uzbekistan, though.
1 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

jags1984

Post by jags1984 »

Anyone have a list for KZ? I am looking on google.
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Do whatever you feel in KAzakhstan nobody checks
0 x

henrytn

Post by henrytn »

Hello, am I safe to bring in NSAIDs (eg ibuprofen, aspirin) and Panadol (paracetamol)? Also some stomach pills containing berberine chloride? Thanks a lot in advance!
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Yes
0 x

SCompass

Post by SCompass »

HI Steve
sorry to trouble you I'm trekking the Pamir in Tajikistan/ Afghan areas but getting there I need to stop over at Kazakhstan / Dushanbe
will there be a problem for me to bring Tramadol and also Panadaine Fort

Thanks for your advise
0 x

Milad
Trains expert
Trains expert

Post by Milad »

Neither "Kazakhstan" nor "Dushanbe" are in Uzbekistan, and also, Dushanbe is not situated in Kazakhstan. Apart from that, normal medication is no longer a problem in any of these countries.
1 x