Drones in Central Asia - rules Q&A

All things concerning hiking, skiing, horse riding, cycling,...
Forum rules
Looking for a hiking buddy? Please post your request in the travel sharing forums, not here. Thank you!
AdamL

Re: Drones in Central Asia - rules Q&A

Post by AdamL »

I will enter UZB hopefully tomorrow from Beyneu KAZ. For last few days make no loundry to have nice hidden place for DJI Mavic. Cross you fingers people, if they force me to crash it I will cry like a baby ;)
1 x

AdamL

Post by AdamL »

FYI - they even didn't want me to open my panniers :) it was the most straight forward border crossing ever, but 80km road from Beyneu was a challenge :)
2 x

Team Slightly Lost

Post by Team Slightly Lost »

We had our drone confiscated in 2015 at the border between Turkmenistan & Uzbekistan (Farap/Alat). We had been fine crossing into Turkmenistan so didn't think for one moment there would be any issues. The drone was taken out of the backseat of the car during the standard vehicle search and then picked up by someone of authority. Overall it was a horrendous experience - 16 hours we were held in a separate room, threatened with court in 3 days etc. The officials refused to give a genuine phone number for the British Embassy to arrange a translator so we were truly stuck in no mans land. Eventually, one of the military personnel must have felt sorry for us and they agreed to let us go but only after my OH had to write a dictated statement and pay a $30 dollar fine. The drone & go-pro (along with the charger, spare blades etc) were kept by the Uzbeki's. We tried to destroy it but they weren't having it - it was locked in a safe in front of us, no doubt to be used at a later date.

When leaving the country, the declaration document was different and didn't state Drone's were illegal, whereas on the small print the entry one did and was pointed out to us by the authorities at the time.

Overall, it was a lesson to us both of how serious things can be without checking out legalities nearer the time of crossing (the law changed early 2015). It hasn't put us off Central Asia but we will probably avoid Uzbekistan for a bit longer.
2 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Via e-mail:

We did not mention voluntarily that we had a drone and nobody noticed it as the car check at the border in all the countries was always just a glance.

Exception Azerbaijan: when we arrived in Alat with the boat from Kuryk in Kazachstan they specifically asked if we had a drone. After answering positively, it was no problem but we were not allowed to use it. We got an official paper and the box with the drone was sealed so that we could not open it. But leaving the country to Georgia at Lagodekhi, we offered the paper but the custom officials did not even look at it
1 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

justindelaney

Post by justindelaney »

I can confirm that I had my drone destroyed today by Uzbek customs at the Uzbek/Tajik border. They made me bend each drone arm until it snapped. Be careful crossing into Uzbek with a drone.
2 x

GoEast

Post by GoEast »

steven wrote:Via e-mail:

We did not mention voluntarily that we had a drone and nobody noticed it as the car check at the border in all the countries was always just a glance.

Exception Azerbaijan: when we arrived in Alat with the boat from Kuryk in Kazachstan they specifically asked if we had a drone. After answering positively, it was no problem but we were not allowed to use it. We got an official paper and the box with the drone was sealed so that we could not open it. But leaving the country to Georgia at Lagodekhi, we offered the paper but the custom officials did not even look at it
Steven, I can see already that Uzbekistan is not very friendly place for drones and it looks like a bad idea to take it there :) What about Tajikistan (Pamir), Kyrgyzstan (around Issyk Kul area) and Kazakhstan (Charyn / Altyn Emel)? Internet is full of inconsistent info. How common is it to fly in mentioned places? Any significant chance of getting in troubles even if adhering to usual safe flying rules? What about Almaty? What do you think?
0 x

Lovetheworld

Post by Lovetheworld »

In all those places it should not be a problem at all. However, in Pamir there are parts which is just the borderroad to Afghanistan. So I would not fly around sensitive places like that.
0 x

thijsbroekkamp

Post by thijsbroekkamp »

GoEast wrote:
steven wrote:Via e-mail:

Steven, I can see already that Uzbekistan is not very friendly place for drones and it looks like a bad idea to take it there :) What about Tajikistan (Pamir), Kyrgyzstan (around Issyk Kul area) and Kazakhstan (Charyn / Altyn Emel)? Internet is full of inconsistent info. How common is it to fly in mentioned places? Any significant chance of getting in troubles even if adhering to usual safe flying rules? What about Almaty? What do you think?
We had no problem flying in Kyrgyzstan and Kazakhstan! We were in Charyn and Altyn Emel in low season and during sunset and sunrise so there was nobody around, not sure if that matters though.
0 x

Nazrulo

Post by Nazrulo »

Hello there

Using drones in Uzbekistan is illegal and you will face a serious problem if you do not declare it on arrival. More details at:

https://www.uavsystemsinternational.com ... rone-laws/

take care
best
Nazrulo
0 x

togreiser

Post by togreiser »

Does anyone have updated experiences with drones.

My itinerary in September is as following Turkey -> Iran -> Turkmenistan -> Uzbekistan -Kyrgyzstan -> Tajikistan -> Uzbekistan -> Kazakhstan

I guess with that itinerary my best option is to buy a drone at the DJI store in Almaty. Or try to send one from Turkey to Almaty after I have filmed in Turkey. Any other suggestions?

I would have loved to been able to film some in Pamir...
0 x