Kyrgyzstan hiking Mid to Late May

All things concerning hiking, skiing, horse riding, cycling,...
Forum rules
Looking for a hiking buddy? Please post your request in the travel sharing forums, not here. Thank you!
Toby_27

Kyrgyzstan hiking Mid to Late May

Post by Toby_27 »

Hi,

Planning a trip to Kyrgyzstan in mid to late may, arriving around the 15th May.

Was hoping to do treks from Karakol, particularly Ala Kul and then on to Song kul lake from Kochkor.

Will these be accessible at this time? I know June onwards is ideal.

Any ideas of good treks that would be accessible at this time

Thanks
!
0 x

willemspie

Re: Kyrgyzstan hiking Mid to Late May

Post by willemspie »

There was the same question about June viewtopic.php?f=17&t=15353 so May is even more limited.
0 x

alexm9312

Post by alexm9312 »

Mid-May can be a bit early for the high mountain landscapes around Karakol, but there should still be some good hiking options accessible.The Ala Kul trek may still have decent snow cover on the passes making it tricky without proper gear. Lower elevation valleys like Altyn Arashan could be a safer bet that time of year. The Karakol town hikes along the river also open up early.Song Kol area tends to thaw sooner as well, so hiking there by late May should certainly be feasible. The Naryn region just east is another good option that time of year.I'd recommend being flexible and confirming conditions once on the ground. Have backup lower elevation hikes planned in case reported snow levels on the high passes are still too extreme that early. Peak season is definitely best for access, but still opportunities to get a taste of the incredible landscape!Let me know if any other questions come up! Kyrgyzstan is a trekker's paradise with some planning around the seasons and routes.A fake doctors note is a pre-formatted document that can be used as a starting point to create a doctor’s note.Type Calendar is more than just calendars! We provide an array of free business templates including contracts, agreement, and letter templates, along with stunning graphics to elevate your business and personal projects. Visit us now for these free resources and start organizing your year effectively.
0 x

Toby_27

Post by Toby_27 »

willemspie wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:43 pm
There was the same question about June viewtopic.php?f=17&t=15353 so May is even more limited.
Thanks for the reply - have read the post seems useful!
0 x

Toby_27

Post by Toby_27 »

alexm9312 wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:55 pm
Mid-May can be a bit early for the high mountain landscapes around Karakol, but there should still be some good hiking options accessible.The Ala Kul trek may still have decent snow cover on the passes making it tricky without proper gear. Lower elevation valleys like Altyn Arashan could be a safer bet that time of year. The Karakol town hikes along the river also open up early.Song Kol area tends to thaw sooner as well, so hiking there by late May should certainly be feasible. The Naryn region just east is another good option that time of year.I'd recommend being flexible and confirming conditions once on the ground. Have backup lower elevation hikes planned in case reported snow levels on the high passes are still too extreme that early. Peak season is definitely best for access, but still opportunities to get a taste of the incredible landscape!Let me know if any other questions come up! Kyrgyzstan is a trekker's paradise with some planning around the seasons and routes.A fake doctors note is a pre-formatted document that can be used as a starting point to create a doctor’s note.Type Calendar is more than just calendars! We provide an array of free business templates including contracts, agreement, and letter templates, along with stunning graphics to elevate your business and personal projects. Visit us now for these free resources and start organizing your year effectively.
Thanks for the reply useful info here! Glad to hear Song Kul thaws earlier too that was one thing I was quite set on
0 x