Need some recommended trekking routes in Pamir Highway

All things concerning hiking, skiing, horse riding, cycling,...
Forum rules
Looking for a hiking buddy? Please post your request in the travel sharing forums, not here. Thank you!
sfymoises

Need some recommended trekking routes in Pamir Highway

Post by sfymoises »

Hi guys

My friend and I plan to go to Murghab from Sary-Tash in this July, then go to China through Kulma Pass. So,we just stay the eastern part of Tajikistan a few days, no more 1 week. And We don't have own car, all by public transpotation and shared taxi.

Does anyone know some trekking routes in this aerea, based in Murghab? We are not professional, some routes easy to get to is better. Does gustehouse/homestay in Murghab offers some trekking activity? and how much about that?

Thanks!
0 x

AreWeThereYet?

Re: Need some recommended trekking routes in Pamir Highway

Post by AreWeThereYet? »

Hey there!

I've done some pre-planning for something like that too, but in the end I decided not to return to Murghab and to just trek on the Alay mountains with Visit Alay (as recommended by Steven too).

Anyhow, what I gathered from looking around on the Net is that there's fairly little, in terms of routes, in the Eastern GBAO. Most treks seem to be leaving from the Bartang valley. I did find an itinerary going through Bazaardara and then descending into Alichur (see this website; scroll 3/4 of the way down), but in all honesty I haven't seen any trek reports and I checked with the Italian Alpine Club and the Royal Geographical Societies for expedition reports.

I suppose one idea could be to simply follow the less traipsed route and visit smaller villages around Murghab, say Rangkul, or perhaps follow the Murghab river towards the mountains. My other idea was to follow a road I could see from Google Earth, leaving Karakul and heading west. Let me know how it was!
3 x
www.awtytravels.com
Stories from the road.