Was everything better before?

Talk about the forum & website, off-topic chatter, etc.
mazeno
Driving expert
Driving expert

Was everything better before?

Post by mazeno »

the other question may well be - should we make pamir the place of coca-cola trekking?
take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.
and leave your facebook at home.
Last edited by steven on Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: To keep the original topic clean, I split off the debate that followed here. Original topic : viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2166
0 x
rgds -
mazeno

graceecg

Re: Internet data on Pamir highway

Post by graceecg »

mazeno wrote:the other question may well be - should we make pamir the place of coca-cola trekking?
take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.
and leave your facebook at home.
Coca cola trekking? That's news to me. As a sole female I think it's foolish not to have data as back whenever possible. Someone tell grandpa here that there is an Internets outside of fb.
0 x

lissie45

Post by lissie45 »

graceecg wrote:

Coca cola trekking? That's news to me. As a sole female I think it's foolish not to have data as back whenever possible. Someone tell grandpa here that there is an Internets outside of fb.

LOL me too. I've travelled a lot solo - I don't understand why having Internet would make you more or less safe though? Basically you have to rely on people around you. You do have to educate those left behind though. We were a month in Burma in 2012 with very limited access - and there was a big quake - which we felt slightly - but had no idea it was a serious shake. Fortunately most of our friends are old enough to have travelled pre-internet and didn't panic when we didn't reply to emails for a week!
0 x
My pretty random blog: http://LisTravelTips.com

mazeno
Driving expert
Driving expert

Post by mazeno »

so, if u r afraid of travelling w/o internet simply stay at home or choose hawai spa.
1 x
rgds -
mazeno

loyola

Post by loyola »

mazeno wrote:so, if u r afraid of travelling w/o internet simply stay at home or choose hawai spa.
What an unpleasant poster you are....

This forum is a very nice place for different type of travellers to meet and share informations about Central Asia, don't ruin it because someone isn't travelling like you or have different concerns than you.

The Internet and access to some communications/medicals questions while travelling have never crossed my mine before but since my gf was unlucky enough to have an appendicitis in the middle of nowhere, it's something I tend to look at more closely when travelling now.

People have different experiences and their aversion to risk isn't the same. So, yes maybe the Pamirs aren't a good place for the OP, but no need to resort to condescending tone to tell her.
0 x

mazeno
Driving expert
Driving expert

Post by mazeno »

and don't ruin central asia in your modern mode for your convenience.
(e.g. nepal is now ruined. and i don't mind the consequences of the terramoto.)
0 x
rgds -
mazeno

loyola

Post by loyola »

Because by asking questions the OP will ruin Central Asia....
0 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Post by bwv812 »

It's deeply ironic that a person who makes his living from the internet so desperately wants to 'save' the remotest Central Asians from the internet. Heaven forbid they have the ability to lead better lifestyles and/or earn some money without sending their sons and husbands to Russia for years at a time.

Who says Nepal is ruined? Just tourists like you, or the people who actually live in Nepal?
0 x

mazeno
Driving expert
Driving expert

Post by mazeno »

> It's deeply ironic that a person who makes his living from the internet
it's deeply ironic, that you rate people knowing nothing about them. i don't make my living on the internet.

> Who says Nepal is ruined?
the nepalis.
25 years ago they had no rat race but poor but mostly quiet life.
so we, in eastern europe, had too (except the soviet occupancy).
so, we have the experience that you western people don't have.

and don't tell me you want internet for better life of tajik people.
you need internet for your own convenience (as said in the first post: "in case something goes wrong").
0 x
rgds -
mazeno

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Post by bwv812 »

mazeno wrote:> It's deeply ironic that a person who makes his living from the internet
it's deeply ironic, that you rate people knowing nothing about them. i don't make my living on the internet.
I only know what you tell us. And here's what you told us in another post:
"you're right, i'm a bit hypocritical (but who's not? and i can excuse myself a bit, too. i write it on the net, 'cos i use the net for work"
mazeno wrote: > Who says Nepal is ruined?
the nepalis.
25 years ago they had no rat race but poor but mostly quiet life.
so we, in eastern europe, had too (except the soviet occupancy).
so, we have the experience that you western people don't have.
OK, show us Nepalis saying that their country is ruined and that they would rather have the exact same infrasturcture, economy, and opportunities they had 30 years ago. I don't think they exist on a large scale, and those who hold those beliefs tend to think they could have had the advancements in these things without any change to culture or daily life. That's an unrealistic expectation.

By the way, here's some actual data on how people in Eastern Europe have viewed changes in their quality of life. You can see that in every single polled country, people have indicated they are better off now than they were then. I suspect the results for Nepal would be similar to that of Poland or other more satisfied countries, based on GDP growth rates.

0 x