Crossing China - From Tajikistan to Pakistan

All about Tajikistan. Expert: Pamirski, Christian77
lweisner

Crossing China - From Tajikistan to Pakistan

Post by lweisner »

Dear Overlanders,
two friends and i want to do a trip with our motorbikes, next year from Germany to Australia. We have a rough idea of the route we want to take in our mind. It includes Germany, Poland, Ukraine, Russia, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Kirgisistan, Tajikistan, China, Pakistan, India, Myanmar, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Malaysia, Indonesia and Australia.
During our research we recognized that the border between Tajikistan and China and the Qulma-Pass are open.
Do you know if it's possible to use this route to cross China? Do the agencies we have to use even offer this trip or has anybody else already used this route and can share his experiences?
It seems really complicated to plan the crossing through China and i'm very glad and thankful for any tips or recommendations you can provide.
Best regards
Louis
0 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Re: Crossing China - From Tajikistan to Pakistan

Post by bwv812 »

0 x

lweisner

Post by lweisner »

Thank you! I will post and look there :)
0 x

murg

Post by murg »

lweisner wrote: ... includes Germany, Poland, Ukraine, Russia, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Kirgisistan, Tajikistan, China, Pakistan, India....
During our research we recognized that the border between Tajikistan and China and the Qulma-Pass are open.
Do you know if it's possible to use this route to cross China? Do the agencies we have to use even offer this trip or has anybody else already used this route and can share his experiences?

Best regards
Louis
Hi Louis,

we rode our motorbikes from Germany to Nepal this year, crossing all the countries I left in the quote.

The Qulma Pass works but will take as Long as Irkeshtam.
It is supported by various agencies.

In General i can not recommend China at all, wrecks your nerves, Kills your time, Takes a Lot of money & steals your personal Data.

We/I can give you tons of information reg. Border crossings, Guesthouse, fuel, visa... And, of course, Road conditions.

I suggest you read my posts reg. the borders to get an idea.

Just send me a PM, in German or English, and I'll try to help you as good as possible.

Enjoy the planning!
Dave
0 x
Riding the globe (well, at least some parts)
living in Germany

jeffwkirby

Post by jeffwkirby »

Hi Dave and Louis.

My first time on the site and found this post. I am looking to set off East in April and I expect to be going from Tajikistan to Pakistan as I make my way to Singapore.
This crossing from Tajikistan to Pakistan is challenging me.
I would appreciate any update from Louis (have you found an opening?)...and Dave, if you've any additional comments I'd really appreciate it.

Yet to work out the visa process fully but thinking of the visaguru...any better thoughts.

Thanks for any response...

Jeff
0 x

bamboo

Post by bamboo »

Hi all,

Following. I'm also interested in the route from Tajikistan to Pakistan via Qolma Pass and KKR. The KKR is approximately 14km from Qolma Pass according to this report Qolma Pass

Is there any public transportation that travel from Qolma Pass to Gilgit (Pakistan)?
0 x

SmallWorldBig

Post by SmallWorldBig »

The border pass between Tajikistan and China is called Kalasu Pass (in China) and Kulma Pass in Tajikistan. This is the only border pass between them.

You cannot see the "Kalasu Pass" on Google map yet, but you will see it and also see the "Kalasu Pass (Cusomer/Border Control)" soon. The latter is 14 km east of the Kulma/Kalasu Pass (4055m above sea level) and by the G314 (3094m).

This pass has been clossed for travellers since the spring of 2020 due to the Convid19, but still open for trucks/lorries/goods. Its normal open hours are:
12:00~19:00.

To get the newest update of opening hours of Chinese border passes: https://www.nia.gov.cn/n794014/n1050176 ... index.html
That is the official website of Chinese Immigration Admin Beijing. You need Google translation. On the page top, there are many clickable buttons, the last one is for Xinjiang (新疆),the province bordering to India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, Kazakstan, Mongolia, ...
------------------------------------------------
Since I am also planning a trip from Britain to China by motor home via China's western border, so I have done some extensive studies on all possible routes:

1) via Pakistan: Gilgit, Sost, Kongqirapi/Kunjerap Pass, G314 (China). I have used this route in 2013. But my wife has severe asthma and cannot risk the altitude from Gilgit to the Kunjerab pass (near 4800m). Although the road is good, fully paved.

2) via Tajikistan: Kulma/Kalasu Pass. Again the high altitude in whole eastern Tajikistan. Also the road condition is poor in some sections.
Goods to Afghanistan and southern Tajikistan from China mainly via this pass.

3) via Kyrgyzstan: (from Tajikistan) Dushanbe - Humdon - Devona - (to Kygryzstan) Karamyk - Sary Mogul (3200m) - Sary Tash - Irkeshtan Pass (3000m).
Rumors that the border at Karamyk is open to Kyrgy and Tajik only is untrue. The Goods from China to Tajikistan is mainly via this route.

4) via Kyrgyzstan: Osh - Sary Tash - Irkeshtan Pass.
The pass is open whole year round, the goods form China to Tajikistan (vie Karamyk), Uzebekistan (via Osh), southern Kyrgyzstan main go this pass. nearly 100 lorries a day.

5) Via Bishkek - Torugart Port/Pass - Kashgar (China).

6) Via Kazakhstan: Almaty - Horgos Pass - China
1 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Post by bwv812 »

Karamyk being open for goods doesn't mean it is open for tourists.
0 x