Kazakhstan new visa free rule 2015

The place for all visa questions and embassy reports. Expert: Crazydre
Forum rules
Before asking a visa question, make sure you have read the relevant visa article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/visa/

Before submitting an embassy report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Relevant topics are linked to from the visa pages on the site.

Thank you!
RoverAllover

Re: Kazakhstan new visa free rule 2015

Post by RoverAllover »

Thankyou Steven,

I was looking for what the Rules for U.K Passport holders after 31st Dec 2018.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advic ... quirements

"Visas
Until 31 December 2018 you can travel to Kazakhstan without a visa, provided your stay does not exceed 30 days"

I think this will catch people out? If it means that full visa's will be required at the start of 2019 possibly for every Nation that previously
had a Visa Waiver.

I have already bought tickets to Astana and a few bookings when the only information was that UK Nationals did not need a visa.

I am considering flying to India via Uzbek Airways or Beijing with Air Astana (Will make separate threads about that) after maybe 3 Days
in Astana/2 Days in Almaty/2 Days in Tashkent/2 Days in Samarkand.
-
I live and work in Budapest - I travel frequently to Hong Kong, Singapore etc. but I had planned to route through Astana/Almaty
next year as all of the amazing videos travellers have posted on youtube. This brings a few problems,

1. There is no information out yet so It would perhaps be unwise to make firm bookings/buy more flights.
2. In a worst case scenario I would have to get a full Visa to visit/transit Kazakhstan - Would I have to travel to the Kazakh embassy in London : roll:

No havn't visited Kazakhstan but would certainly like to :)

With Thanks
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

In that case you will have to wait with booking flights then.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

RoverAllover

Post by RoverAllover »

Thankyou Steven,

Let's hope that information on Visa's after Dec 2018 is released in a timely manner.

Still a bit of time, I guess lesson learned is that I should have double checked the Visa requirements before booking flights to Astana to start a larger itinerary.

Looking at recent years it seems that it's quite common for Kazakhstan to start and stop Visa Waivers, A lot of people have cited that they are 'Trialing Tourism' - Possibly the recent Visa Free Program was to do with Expo 2017 Astana.

I think it is generous to have a Visa Waiver when there are not reciprocal arrangements, that said it is a confusing picture with Visa Waivers stopping and starting every few years.

I'm hoping that they get the E-Visa system up and running too, that would be great.
0 x

itfcfan

Post by itfcfan »

Since Kazakhstan started their visa-free schemes for some developed countries, they've always stated an end date to the rules - i.e. when it was first opened to 10 countries in 2014, the scheme said "15 July 2014 – 15 July 2015". When it was extended it was "Until 31 December 2016", etc, etc. Here was the first news report:
https://www.rferl.org/a/kazakhstan-drop ... 20746.html

I'm a UK passport holder and I visit Kazakhstan 2~3 times a year to see my in-laws. It's frustrating the Kazakh government doesn't declare this as a permanent rule, but I haven't heard any rumblings of a reversal - instead Kazakhstan has been rolling this out to more countries every time each "trial" period comes to an end. It's not scientific (don't sue me if I'm wrong!), but I think the chances of the visa-free policy being rolled back at the end of 2018 are almost zero.
1 x

RoverAllover

Post by RoverAllover »

Thankyou itfcfan I was possibly going to plan a new route direct to Hong Kong or India and loose the cost of my tickets to Astana - You have helped my nerves with you're explanation.

I think it would be so awesome to Visit Kazakhstan rather then just have a boring long haul flight.

Hopefully they will sort out the Visa Situation for 2019 and continue with the Visa Waivers. :)
0 x

Walkingscience

Post by Walkingscience »

About the visa-free regime for next year, I have heard from my own embassies and the KZ consular that the regime will continue for next year with no plans to cancel it. This supported by this the KZ embassy in US. https://www.kazakhembus.com/content/vis ... s-citizens

Nothing official has been published but if nothing is changing in the regime I think they will not not make any announcement and just continue as usual. It would be odd for the regime to change as one of the KZ ministers has recently said that they are hoping for 4 million visitors to Almaty next year (from 2.5 million).

Out of interest there is a lot of interesting information how the different central asian countries are dealing with tourism on here :https://www.timesca.com/index.php/news/ ... on-tourism

and there are talks that if you get a visa for Kazakhstan, you will not need one for Uzbekistan but we will see on that.
0 x

trabuccoitalia

Post by trabuccoitalia »

Hey guys, as far as I know there are no border controls between Russia and KZ, right?
I have Italian passport (so I don't need KZ Visa) and multiple russian visa. If I enter KZ by land, how can enter legally?
0 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Post by bwv812 »

There are definitely border controls between Russia and Kazakhstan.
1 x

Julia
Kazakhstan expert
Kazakhstan expert

Post by Julia »

trabuccoitalia wrote:Hey guys, as far as I know there are no border controls between Russia and KZ, right?
I have Italian passport (so I don't need KZ Visa) and multiple russian visa. If I enter KZ by land, how can enter legally?
There is border control.
To enter Kazakhstan from Russia you need to choose one of the border crossing check points and cross the border only there.
There are a few legal border crossings.
0 x

cristiano

Post by cristiano »

trabuccoitalia wrote:Hey guys, as far as I know there are no border controls between Russia and KZ, right?[...]
No, wrong. There are no customs controls, as Russia and Kazakhstan are in the same Custom Union, but there are definitely border controls.
trabuccoitalia wrote:I have Italian passport (so I don't need KZ Visa) and multiple russian visa. If I enter KZ by land, how can enter legally?
At every border crossing open to foreigners.
0 x