Purchase a motorbike in Tajikistan, ride to Europe

Self-driving the Silk Road.
GCW

Purchase a motorbike in Tajikistan, ride to Europe

Post by GCW »

Hello,

I am working in Dushanbe for the next 6 months or so, when finishing here the eventual plan to return to Europe would be by purchasing a motorbike (the dream is of course a Ural) and travelling through Kazakhstan/Russia before ending up in the UK.

I was wondering if anyone had an experiences of exporting a Tajik (or another Central Asian country if the paperwork was easier) vehicle and going to Europe/UK and what sort of paperwork I would need to get in order? I am aware that many vehicles have dodgy registrations so that is a priority, but I also want to know about insurances an import duties to the UK.

Cheers,
George
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Purchase a motorbike in Tajikistan, ride to Europe

Post by steven »

Hi George,

for importing a car to the UK -> https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk

For buying a car in Tajikistan: would love to hear your experience, I never had a report of anyone doing it before, Kyrgyzstan being the main place to do that for backpackers.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

GCW

Post by GCW »

Thanks Steven for the import info. Seems pretty straight forward as long as the machine is in good order and the docs are all there.

I have a bit of time to prepare so will (hopefully) be able to manage it. I will keep this thread updated with any developments, but an experience of temporary imports to Kazakhstan/Russia would be useful
Cheers,
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Temporary import to Customs Union Kaz, Ru, KG is straightforward. Lots of self-drivers have posted their reports on the forum, no problems it seems.
0 x

GCW

Post by GCW »

So, I have purchased an old Ural (complete with side car) and have been enjoying driving around Dushanbe in such. I have "general authorisation" which I don't totally understand, but I can sell, scrap or do whatever I want to the vehicle. Is this the same as "power of attorney"?

I am informed that it is possible to travel through CIS countries with general authorisation, but is there any way of knowing if I can do so through the EU? The vague plan would be to go through TJK>KGZ>Turkmenistan>Caspian Sea Ferry>Azerbaijan>Georgia>Russia>Ukraine>Hungary or something like that.
Also, any advice on how to insure a foreign registered vehicle while crossing borders would be appreciated!
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

I am not an expert on the EU, so you will need to look elsewhere for that info.

Every country page in the self-driving chapter of the site has a section on insurance --> https://caravanistan.com/transport/driving/

Bottom of the page has links to all country pages.
0 x

swegpat

Post by swegpat »

@ GCW and everyone else concerned. I am planning to purchase a motorbike and ride the pamir, and possibly back to Europe. I much prefere a purchase with selling option as, especially for more extensive trips, turns out to be cheaper. Therefore two questions: 1) where to you reckon is the best location to purchase a bike that is legally allowed to cross borders ( I heard Kyrgyzstan or KZ would be easiest to obtain power of attorney etc.). 2) I do not own a 125cc license (while having plenty of experience with them) but I wanna get preferrably a motorbike of that standard. Anyone with similar issues and how have you resolved them?
Thanks for any feedback.
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

I think you are right about buying a motorbike: KG or KAZ will be best.

Not sure about the driver's license issue.
0 x

GCW

Post by GCW »

My experience in Tajikistan is that the market is very limited for motorcycles. somon.tj is the best place to find what is available. You can get power of attorney on a vehicle here, but you require to be registered - if you enter TJK on a tourist visa then there is no registration required, I assume this would therefore not make it possible to get vehicle ownership.
Regarding licences, I have a UK motorcycle licence and an international driving permit, but you also require a "Talon" (I paid 150TJS) in Tajikistan - available from traffic police - which requires the category A (motorcycle) endorsement. This is difficult to get if you do not have a motorcycle licence I hear, but as with many things 200 somoni may help this problem.

Inshallah, I will be leaving at teh start of April, so will update with my experience accordingly
3 x

swegpat

Post by swegpat »

Thanks for the reply and helpful information. Let me know if you got sth else to add.

Best
0 x