UK to The Stans - leaving April

Post your itinerary questions and trip reports here
Sefti

UK to The Stans - leaving April

Post by Sefti »

Hi all

I wonder if anyone is planning a similar journey. I’m leaving mid Apr and planning on seven months on the road returning later in the year.

I’m worried that the trip may only get as far as Georgia as Azerbaijan still has its land borders closed which makes crossing the Caspian impossible. Obviously to the north is Russia and the south is Iran both of which are extremely difficult if not impossible for a UK passport holder (although I’m starting to look into the possibility of a Russian visa)

The situation seems very fluid and I thought it might be handy to say hi to other people doing a similar journey to swap any information or tips we discover

Happy travels!
Simon
3 x

Hugues

Re: UK to The Stans - leaving April

Post by Hugues »

For Iran, you wrote impossible, I thought UK citizens could enter but with a guide?
0 x

Sefti

Post by Sefti »

I said “difficult if not impossible”.

It depends on how much money you have. I don’t have the money to hire a guide for a transit through Iran hence for me it’s impossible. Others may be able to do that hence the “difficult or impossible”
0 x

Hugues

Post by Hugues »

I see.
I have dual nationality, Canadian and Swiss,
depending on how they see this, i might need a guide too.
Did you check the cost of a guide for a short transit of a few days ?
Can a guide be "shared" like they do for China ? hence reducing the pain...
0 x

Peer234

Post by Peer234 »

Hello Simon,

I have similar plans I will be leaving half march on a motorbike from The Netherlands. I will be traveling slow.
Still hoping things will calm down and I am also looking for alternative routes.
When I have News I will share it here.

Greets
Peter
1 x

Sefti

Post by Sefti »

Hi Peter

Great to hear someone else is doing a similar journey at a similar time. Feel free to private message if you think it would be handy to stay in touch.

I’m currently trying to look into a Russian visa but non of the visa companies or the Russian embassy are responding to my emails. I’ll keep you updated and thanks for keeping me updated with any information you find
0 x

IronChris

Post by IronChris »

- I'm following here!
Leaving mid march from Germany.

Chris
2 x

Koen

Post by Koen »

Hi,
Also going in April from Barcelona with a moped, see how far I get east before I have to stop due borders closed or I get crazy of the moped 😂
2 x
Rollingdutchman @ instagram

IronChris

Post by IronChris »

Does anybody consider the offer of alrightmoving?
They manage it to carry the bike from Tbilisi to Baku for around 1500 €. The offer includes help at customs etc.
Nevertheless, to me it sounds like a lot of paperwork AND you have to book a flight and then the ferry. Thus, not easyer in my eyes, but maybe someone has experiences with them.
1 x

Sefti

Post by Sefti »

Hi everyone and fantastic to see there are others going to attempt something similar at roughly the same time!
If active is interested I’m considering setting up a WhatsApp group to share any information and tips we find.
3 x