Need help with Georgia-Turkey border situation, and additional questions

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
Umudugudu

Re: Need help with Georgia-Turkey border situation, and additional questions

Post by Umudugudu »

Airam wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2022 2:06 pm
hello we just came into contact with the same problem. we cannot cross the Georgian-Turkish border with our Georgian car. That’s why we question here again to you: “Was the 15 day transit visa an official option or was the official corrupt?". Customs officials today were very sure that there is no possibility of crossing the border by Georgian car.
Thanks for your help
We kept playing dumb and stubborn for a long time, eventually sitting in their offices and pretending to just not comprehend the concept that a foreigner can't own a vehicle and drive it into Turkey. Eventually the officer seemed to take pity with us and said he'd give us the 15 day transit visa. We didn't bribe him or anything, he just said that was the best he could offer. He did say that we should request the same when we returned for our planned cross back through Turkey to Georgia. As it turned out, when we returned to the Turkey border for that cross back, no one even blinked an eye so we had our normal tourist visa.
I think the lesson learned is consistent with what I heard from a few other folks: there is no consistency with the Turkish border, so try and try again. Eventually you should get an officer who either doesn't know that stupid rule or doesn't care. Sucks in terms of your time, but I think you'll get through eventually.
I'd be curious to hear how this plays out for you, if you'll update.
1 x

Wout888

Post by Wout888 »

Airam wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2022 2:06 pm
hello we just came into contact with the same problem. we cannot cross the Georgian-Turkish border with our Georgian car. That’s why we question here again to you: “Was the 15 day transit visa an official option or was the official corrupt?". Customs officials today were very sure that there is no possibility of crossing the border by Georgian car.
Thanks for your help
Hi, can I ask you whether you have a Georgian Residence card? Because with that it shouldn't be a problem. Georgian plates and Georgian residence card should work.
0 x

Umudugudu

Post by Umudugudu »

I don’t, as I was just there as a tourist and to buy my motorcycle
0 x