M41 Pamir Highway / Kyzyl Art Pass border crossing procedure Q&A

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
OWNER

Re: When will the Kyrgyzstan-Tajikistan border reopen?

Post by OWNER »

How much does it cost to cross the border? The world's first paid checkpoint.
The Pamir Highway, which has been closed to through traffic for several years, has begun to operate fully. What does it mean - fully? This means bringing profit to near-state structures of the Kyrgyz Republic. It’s true - money shouldn’t go past the cash register and you still have to pay a small fee for crossing the border. This means we are creating the world’s first paid international border checkpoint. More precisely, we are introducing payment for crossing the border at the Bor-Dobo checkpoint. https://roadstravel.ru/pamirskiy-trakt- ... resheniye/

1 x

Fabsarah

Post by Fabsarah »

Hi everyone, we crossed the Bordobo border yesterday with the driver who dropped us to another driver in the border with Kyrgyzstan. We didn't pay anything. They checked our backpacks and passports and then let us pass. Direction From Tajikistan to Kyrgyzstan.
0 x

OWNER

Post by OWNER »

Fabsarah wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 5:12 pm
Hi everyone, we crossed the Bordobo border yesterday with the driver who dropped us to another driver in the border with Kyrgyzstan. We didn't pay anything. They checked our backpacks and passports and then let us pass. Direction From Tajikistan to Kyrgyzstan.
Hello to you, too!
Please tell us in more detail about your trip - where you came from and where you were going, are you a tourist or a local resident, how many of you were there, who organized the trip, your citizenship, where you received your visa and permit for GBAO. Unfortunately, your only message on this forum is not very informative.
0 x

Krispuy

Post by Krispuy »

I crossed the border Tajikistan to Kyrgyzstan on October 23, was a little snowy in the noman's land inbetween the border, no problem unless you're on a motorcycle like me :)

I used destination pamir (Erali) to get the permit to cross the border, at first my name was not correctly emailed to the border guards and I was told to go back to Tajikistan. But after they called Erali a couple of times I was eventually let through. Also had to pay 5 dollars for some piece of paper at the tajik side, which was strange but I paid anyways It looked semi official.

Both border posts were very friendly and quick even got tea and sweets at the tajik side :)
2 x

Fabsarah

Post by Fabsarah »

OWNER wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 1:41 am
Fabsarah wrote:
Hello to you, too!
Please tell us in more detail about your trip - where you came from and where you were going, are you a tourist or a local resident, how many of you were there, who organized the trip, your citizenship, where you received your visa and permit for GBAO. Unfortunately, your only message on this forum is not very informative.

Hello! We are an Italian couple, so we were tourist visa free. We just registered ourselves at ovir office on the 10th day. We arrived in Uzbekistan, then we moved to Tajikistan by ourselves. in Dushanbe we met the driver (found thanks to Caravanistan forum): ha already asked for our Gbao permit before our arrival. We went from Dushanbe to Osh before coming back to Uzbekistan.
1 x

marimarek

Post by marimarek »

Hi,

Is it possible to cross the border from Tajikistan to Kirgistan with rented car?
0 x

Peregrinations

Post by Peregrinations »

Fabsarah wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:24 pm
OWNER wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 1:41 am
Fabsarah wrote:
Hello to you, too!

Hello! We are an Italian couple, so we were tourist visa free. We just registered ourselves at ovir office on the 10th day. We arrived in Uzbekistan, then we moved to Tajikistan by ourselves. in Dushanbe we met the driver (found thanks to Caravanistan forum): ha already asked for our Gbao permit before our arrival. We went from Dushanbe to Osh before coming back to Uzbekistan.
Hi! How did you go about getting the GBAO permit (I am also planning to enter Visa-free).
0 x

diddylord

Post by diddylord »

Hello, does anyone know if it is possible to cross this border with a rental vehicle?
I am looking to hire a bike in Kyrgyzstan (I am in contact with companies who are happy for me to do this with their bike) and then
cross from Kyrgyzstan to Tajikistan to explore the Pamir highway before crossing back again to return the bike to Osh.

I am aware of the permit GBAO permits required to do this and the steps required to cross this border from this thread.
I would be very interested to know if anyone else has done this crossing with a hire vehicle from Kyrgyzstan?
0 x

Tomi

Re: M41 Pamir Highway / Kyzyl Art Pass border crossing procedure

Post by Tomi »

This whole authorization thing is just an opportunistic move by some to make some extra bucks, the whole thing is very shaddy, different ammounts asked, even some who go across without autorization at all but paying to border guards on spot, as far as is known this pass is open to independent travelers so there is no need to go through a private tour agency right? I just wrote an email to the kyrgiz tourism ministry stating all these concerns and also asking for an official document from the government on the need to apply for this special authorization as it is nowhere to be found on the official websites that i checked, if they receive enough emails expressing our concerns might help for then to think over this matter, otherwise it might become permanent i guess, their email is [email protected]
0 x

silvia

Post by silvia »

Hello, does anyone know if it is possible to cross the Bor Dobo - Kyzylart border with a shared taxi?
I am planning to explore the Pamir Highway travelling by shared taxi, from Tajikistan to Kyrgyzstan.
I am aware of travelling with a own or rental car is allowed and I need to send an email to [email protected] to request approval.
I would be very interested to know if anyone else has done this crossing with a shared taxi from Tajikistan.
0 x