M41 Pamir Highway / Kyzyl Art Pass border crossing procedure Q&A

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
alforgesinquietes

Re: When will the Kyrgyzstan-Tajikistan border reopen?

Post by alforgesinquietes »

some of us have had to stay overnight at the kyrgyz military point, even having sent the email and having got a positive reply from nurcha.
so be ready just in case! we were provided brown water and a cabin to sleep on the floor, some others camped around...
just another crazy experience in the pamirs!
1 x
Roger & Sílvia cycling the world little by little :) http://alforgesinquietes.wordpress.com

AdRock81

Post by AdRock81 »

Hello,
Has anyone any info/updates about crossing the border in the Tajik-Kyrgyz direction? Was hoping to travel Dushanbe-Osh. I presume i would require the crossing letter/approval from the Kyrgyz side but unsure if this is yet allowed on the Tajik side. Thanks
0 x

alforgesinquietes

Post by alforgesinquietes »

AdRock81 wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2023 5:49 am
Hello,
Has anyone any info/updates about crossing the border in the Tajik-Kyrgyz direction? Was hoping to travel Dushanbe-Osh. I presume i would require the crossing letter/approval from the Kyrgyz side but unsure if this is yet allowed on the Tajik side. Thanks
yes we and many people have crossed tajik -> kyrgyz direction, no issues at the tajik side, but quite disorganized on the kyrgyz side, where even having sent the email we got stuck and had to spend the night in "no-man's land" haha
1 x
Roger & Sílvia cycling the world little by little :) http://alforgesinquietes.wordpress.com

growwiththego

Post by growwiththego »

Hey there,

somebody crossed from Kyrgyzstan to Tajikistan and has any information about the registration at OVIR? We read a lot in the relevant forum considering the registration, but didn't find any info for people coming from Kyrgyzstan. Is there an OVIR office in Murghab and is it necessary to register within 3 or 10 days? We are also not sure of we need an overnight stay at a hotel, as well...?

We will cross the border with our van in the end of August / beginning of September, so if sb travels in that period as well let us know and we could meet up :)
0 x

whknws

Post by whknws »

Hello,

We cross the border today from Murghab (Tadjik) to Sary Tash (Kyrgyz) yesterday 22/08

We aren't on a bike or a car or a bicycle and I want to warn you that if you're by foot like us it can be difficult.

From the tadjik exit border, you won't find any car to hitchike or you'll have to be very lucky. We walk 20km from tadjik side to Kyrgyz side. At the first checkpoint, 3km after Tadjik exit, Kyrgyz soldiers were very arrogant with us, and propose to drop us at the border for money first (we wouldve like to), but then without reason said no no no and let us walk and laugh at us. Of course it's not their job but no needs to be arrogant.

Then, the email to [email protected] with all the infos have to be send AT LEAST 2 days before crossing the border. 3 people with us couldnt cross the border because of that (they send their email the day before) and had to stay the night in front of the border in some sort of mountain shelter. It's high, it's cold, it's no fun, moreover when you just walk 20km. The border guards will have your name on their list 2 days after the email is send. Also the soldiers weren't very nice and pretty racist.

So it's doable but know where you're getting at. If you do, leave early (4am early).

By motorbike, car, even bike it should be much more easy. (But the road is steep and very windy)
Last edited by whknws on Wed Aug 23, 2023 3:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

guy.brush

Post by guy.brush »

Relatively shortly (5k?) after the Tajik border post in there is a Kyrgyz check point in no mans land. If you play your cards right, they "might" take you to the border post 10-15k later... There were a bunch of guys sitting around seemingly bored.
0 x

Mary

Post by Mary »

Hello! Did somebody cross from Kyrgyzstan to Tayikistan with a copy of the GBAO instead of the original?
0 x

CaptainHugito

Post by CaptainHugito »

Hi everyone, I'd like to spend some time around Lake Karakul (camping; hiking; kayaking) in mid/late september. Assuming the Kyzyl-Art border is "open", what are my options as far as transport? (I will not have my own vehicle). Taxi from Sary-Tash to the kyrgyz border, then hope to catch a ride from other tourists all the way to the lake and vice-versa? Thanks!
0 x

otv3n

Post by otv3n »

For those who don't have a car / bicycle / motorbike. We have crossed the border by foot from Tajikistan to Kyrgyzstan on 4th September. From Karakul it's easy to hire a taxi to the border. The Tajik side took us just 5 minutes to get the stamp. After that it's up to your luck if you get the ride — we haven't seen any cars, so we walked 20km to Kyrgyz side. It took us around 6h, the road goes down all the way, so it was just a nice walk with nice sceneries around. On Kyrgyz side it took us around 1h of waiting for checking if we are on the list (we sent an email 1 week before the crossing). From Kyrgyz side you can just ask the guards to call a taxi for you to Sary-Tash. We paid 1500 som. There were also some people who stuck and were waiting for their permission on the border (some even for 3 days because of the weekend), so make sure you sent your email earlier.

The guards on Kyrgyz side also told us that the border is open for Kyrgyz nationals living in Tajikistan, we even saw a Kyrgyz family in a car with Tajik numbers successfully crossed the border from Kyrgyzstan to Tajikistan.
2 x

Meetbefore

Post by Meetbefore »

Hi @otv3n, could you tell me which company you need to send e-mails to if you want to cross the border? :) we want to cross it from Osh to Tajikistan. And do you know if there are a lot of taxis at the Tajiki side?
0 x