Crossing report: Loftabad-Artyk border (Iran-Turkmenistan)

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
uncle_sam01

Re: Crossing report: Loftabad-Artyk border (Iran-Turkmenistan)

Post by uncle_sam01 »

I hitch hiked to Lotfabad from Mashad, which was fairly easy. I did take a (random) shared taxi at one point however (around 80km for 150,000 rials). I don't have much to add to the border part, it was as described here by others. The Iranian passenger passport control is a small building on the right (next to the array of trucks). Obligatory marshrutka was 4 manats. The Turkmen officers were extremely professional and helpful, almost all spoke English. There were a bunch of people (probably smugglers) waiting outside on the Turkmen side willing to take me to Ashgabat- the first price was 100 manat, which probably could've been negotiated substantially, but I managed to hitch a ride for free from someone else.
0 x