Bavra-Ninotsminda border (GEO - AM): Crossing reports

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
Napsju

Bavra-Ninotsminda border (GEO - AM): Crossing reports

Post by Napsju »

Hello :)

I noticed there are border crossings defined on this page http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/ in blue: "Not researched and updated" However, for two of them I have reports to be added:

1) Georgia-Armenia Sadakhlo / Baghratashen crossing
- 11-nov-2013 Open to foreigners. Into Armenia: No visa needed for Dutch national. Singaporean with prearranged printed E-Visa (US$10). No problems there. Our rental car from Tbilisi needed a special prearranged permit to be temporarily exported into Armenia. Ask the rental agency in advance. Cost: US$30. Car insurance is compulsory and must be bought at the border. Cost US$15 for 7 days. Smooth procedures, no bribes, all set in 30 minutes. Remember to retain all documents gathered at the border. You'll need it to bring the car back to Georgia. Bank and ATM at the Armenian side available.

2) Armenia-Georgia Bavra crossing
- 15-nov-2013 Open to foreigners. Into Georgia: No visa needed for Dutch and Singaporean nationals. Our Georgia licensed rental car needed to be cleared at some small building at the Armenia side. Cost: US$10. Smooth procedures, no bribes, all set in 30 minutes.
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Border crossings reports Georgia-Armenia

Post by steven »

0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

QuentinT

Post by QuentinT »

Bavra crossing : The road is really difficult on the Georgian part for few km. It is rideable but it takes more time than usual. We were on bicycle and we rode at the same speed as trucks.
2 x

Graindum

Post by Graindum »

We're a family with a van

Bavra crossing :
In the armenian side, we paid some 100€ of different taxes of ecology, road tax and some other I don't remember. And also insurrance which was 15 euros I think.

Gogavan crossing :
There is 13km of mud track after the border in the Georgian side. (but no queue at the border)
2 x

Max84

Georgia-Armenia: Border crossing report

Post by Max84 »

Border Report: Georgia -Armenia (Ninotsminda-Bavra, two Germans with one bike each)

Total duration: 2:40 h

The route towards the border on the Georgian side is okay, a few but deep potholes. We passed a 2 km long raw of waiting trucks, no stress getting passed them. The Georgian border control officer asked for the passport and national vehicle registration (liability insurance was not checked) - 5 minutes, stamped, done - very friendly.
Then we moved on to the Armenien side, reached a barrier that was opened without a check. We then came to a border police officer who checked our bags superficially - all friendly, no problem. Next stop at a border police booth, passport and vehicle registration were checked, stamp, done - quick and friendly. Moved on to a customs officer who stopped us and checked our luggage again superficially and asked us to fill a customs form in the building on the left. The form is simple, it takes 5 minutes to fill it. Then we had to pay 5500 AMD customs fee per bike. Make sure to have cash on hand, if you don't have AMD, you can change EUR and USD next to the customs booth. The customs lady had to type the whole form into her computer which took some time. You receive a customs document and a payment receipt that you need to keep until you leave the country. After that we had to buy a liability insurance at the little building across (10,000 AMD for 1 months per bike). Supposedly you can also buy it online (https://aswa.am) but the website didn't except our German visa cards. At the last barrier the passport and customs document was checked, that was it. The route towards Gyumry is really potholy but fun for the first 10 - 15 km before it gets better.

Cheers :)
1 x

Lagerfeld

Georgia-Armenia: Border crossing report

Post by Lagerfeld »

Thank you very much, Max.
I want to go to AM next year; AZ I know already and now I'm already the 2nd month in Central Asia: KZ + UZ + KIG.
0 x

telavi

Re: Georgia-Armenia: Border crossing report

Post by telavi »

Border Report: Armenia - Georgia (Bavra-Ninotsminda, US nationals with rented passenger car from Armenia)
Date/Time: August 3 2023 10AM
Total duration: 20 minutes

Road from Gyumri to border is spotty as reported.
Old border posts used to be quite far (2-3km) apart but now they are within 400m of each other.

There was no line in either direction.
From the Armenian side, you first are checked for your passports and vehicle documentation.
We were then checked out by customs officers who then did a spot check of the trunk.
On the Armenian side, the passenger had to be processed indoors but her luggage stayed in the car.

Before leaving Armenia, we were then stopped at a checkpoint to ensure our exit stamps were in order.

Entering Georgia, we were checked for our passports and then sent swiftly onwards to Immigration.
We had preordered Georgian liability insurance ahead of time (tpl.ge).
Everyone got to stay in the car until we were stamped in.
Another quick spot check of the trunk, and we were through!
0 x

Lagerfeld

Re: Georgia-Armenia: Border crossing report

Post by Lagerfeld »

Thank you very much, telavi, nice to hear that.
It was the same at the border from AZ --> GEO. I really like this people.
0 x

Utesreisen

Border Bavra- Ninotsminda

Post by Utesreisen »

Is it possible to cross the border from Bavra/ Armenia to Ninotsminda/ Georgia with a 10 t Truck- Camper? We are planning this within the next days. Anybody who experienced this recently?
0 x

Gargi

Re: Bavra-Ninotsminda border (GEO - AM): Crossing reports

Post by Gargi »

Hi!

We crossed the border today. 2 adults with van and 4 months old kid. This was the only border crossing where they forced my wife with kid to walk through the border. But othervise it went smoothly, probably 45 minutes. With the import tax and documents mentioned above.
0 x