GBAO situation - 2014 [locked]

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
steven
Admin
Admin

Re: GBAO current situation

Post by steven »

There is no danger or conflict at the moment. Things can always change, now it is very peaceful there. I dont know if that is any help to you. I understand the fco advice, it canalways flare up again in summer like it has previous years. No foreigner has ever been hurt, but many had to cancel their travel plans. So some risk is involved...
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

moffy

Post by moffy »

Hello Steven, I am currently in Iran traveling by motorbike. In a couple of weeks I plan to go to Afghanistan at the Taybad-Herat boarder crossing. I have a Tajik visa for getting out of Afghan. What do you recon will happen if I turn up at the Ishkashim boarder crossing with no GBAO permit? I don't know if Tajik will let me in with a visa but no GBAO. I don't know if I can get the permit in Khorog. Or maybe I should just head north at Kunduz and cross there instead?
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

There is probably a way to negotiate your way out of trouble. You can also contact osh guesthouse in kyrgyzstan, i think they can do you a gbao permit and send you a scan which you can print out and show at the border. Perhaps other tajik tour operators like meta can do it for you as well for a better price. Please let us know if you do that, i would be interested toknow as well.

About kunduz, i dont know about the security situation there and cannot advise on traveling in afghanistan.
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

I made a new topic for the GBAO situation in 2015, post questions and status updates here: http://caravanistan.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=890.

This post is locked.
0 x