Osh-Irkeshtam-Chinese border road open or closed?

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
Markie500

Re: Osh-Irkeshtam-Chinese border road open or closed?

Post by Markie500 »

Can anyone recommend a travel agent for organising KG-China via Torugart Pass
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

All of them can do it. Kyrgyz Concept is the biggest, I think CBT can do it as well.

You understand that you can take Irkeshtam again, right?
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Roman

Post by Roman »

Just a report from Irkeshtam crossing (from China).

I crossed on 4th of July. I took a shared car from Kashgar to Wuqia/Ulugqat for 25 RMB and then a cab to the customs for 15 RMB (it's really far from the center).

I reached customs just before the lunch break at 12 but they were nice and checked all my papers (they either did not mind or overlooked my visa overstayed by 1 day). However there was noone to share the special car (cost 400 RMB per car) with so I agreed to wait. In an hour or so a Chinese businessman showed up and generously suggested we split 300:100 which I was happy about. It took almost 2h to reach the actual border and we had to wait for a break to be over again. Chinese guards arranged a truck to get us through no man's land. Kyrgyz guards were nice and helpful and everything was done in 15 min. Afterwards we went for a tea to a shitty truckers' huts waiting for the Chinese's friend to pick us up. The guy gave us lift all the way to Osh for free (it was his friend).

Summary:
Leaving Kashgar at 9:30, reaching Osh just past 18, total cost 140 RMB.
0 x