Karkara valley (Kegen – Tup/Kensu) border

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
Meilleuir

Re: Karkara valley (Kegen – Tup/Kensu) border

Post by Meilleuir »

Quick Update as no one talks about that bus :

Almaty to Karakol daily at 21.00

And you have Karakol-Almaty daily at 4 Pm

:-)
3 x

Todd_P

Almaty (KZ) to Karakol (KG) via Kegen

Post by Todd_P »

Below recent experience crossing the border at Kegen border crossing when travelling from Almaty to Karakol.

Travel time: end of Aug-2018
Note: please take a note that I do speak Russian, hence some of mine experience might be simplified

ALMATY:
    Got a taxi to the Saykhat station from hotel in city center location. Possible price 300 tenge, but because there were two of us and large bags we were told 500 tenge is a reasonable price.
      Large area and we were dropped off at the junction. Had to ask for the cars to Kegen and walked another block to the actual location.
        8.30am at the station. Discussed with few drivers where we are going and found the one who is collecting people to go there already. Price 4.000 tenge per seat or 20.000 tenge for the whole car.
          Left station with full car 9.30am (5 adults + 2 children). Very comfortable.
            Arrived in KEGEN town @12.30 (3 hr journey). No stops.
              Few shops and a local cafe/ bar. Had some lunch.
                Were looking to get to the border. Our driver was still at the bus stop. Looking for 6.000, 5.000 tenge. Told that only have 4.000 tenge left - take it or leave it. Agreed to take us to the border. Left town @13.06
                  13.57 we were at the other side of the border - Kyrgyzstan side. Border opening hours 08:00-18:00. No issues with stamps or passports and very simple and straight forward crossing.
                    We had arranged car pick up from Kyrgyzstan side for EUR50 from EcoTrek. I WhatsApped the driver on the way from Almaty so he knew when we are du to be at the border. He was waiting for us.
                      Arrived in KARAKOL @15:40
                      1 x

alala

Re: Almaty (KZ) to Karakol (KG) via Kegen

Post by alala »

I crossed the border yesterday, also very positive experience. I was hitchhiking and happily got a ride to Tup (crossroads to Karakol and Cholpon Ata).
                      2 x

gold

Post by gold »

I crossed the border today (7.9.2018) from Cholpon-Ata to Almaty only by hitchhiking (without paying).

If anyone of you hesitates to cross the border - do it! It was one of the most beautiful days of my time in Kyrgyzstan! I never waited more than 5 minutes (there is little traffic, but if a car comes, it usually picks you up and takes you some kilometers), I saw sheep herds and talked to beautifully friendly people all along the way. I can only recommend it. I started at 7:30 in Cholpon-Ata and arrived at 16:30 in Almaty.
                      1 x

AreWeThereYet?

Post by AreWeThereYet? »

Easy border, friendly guards on both sides (as it normally is in Kazakhstan/Kyrgyzstan in my little experience). The only downside is that I failed to convince any of them that Torino FC is better than Juventus (I'm Italian and supporting the former over the latter). The scenery is also quite nice, especially on the Kyrgyz side!
                      2 x
                      www.awtytravels.com
                      Stories from the road.

Tonini

Post by Tonini »

Hello, i went to the informations center in karakol and they told me border is open until the 6th october. Just to informe travellers
                      2 x

Bigbidule

Post by Bigbidule »

I have an answer from the Office of Karakol, the border closes on October 31 officially
                      1 x

steven
                      Admin
                      Admin

Re: Our experience getting from Almaty to Karakol, via Karkara

Post by steven »

Great write-up, thanks for that! I added your tips to the Karkara border crossing chapter. https://caravanistan.com/border-crossin ... n-tupkensu
                      0 x
                      If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Super-Q

Post by Super-Q »

We are in Kazakhstan right now, heading to the border and had our hotel owner call the number on the caravanistan website.

They say it is open already, between 8am and 6pm every day. We will give it a shot and post an update once we have crossed. Wish us luck :-D
                      2 x

Super-Q

Post by Super-Q »

UPDATE:

Crossed the border successfully today, 06.05.2019.
                      2 x