Wakhan corridor: security and access Q&A

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
meika_poika

Wakhan corridor: security and access Q&A

Post by meika_poika »

I'm trying to get information about traveling Wakhan corridor in on coming weeks. I'm now in Dushanbe and I'm traveling with very light very off-road capable motorcycle. People who have traveled from this way had told me that border in Eshkashem is closed, because Taliban movement in Afghan side. Anybody knows if this is true? And is there a possibility to go around Eshkashem crossing the border from Langar or some other place perhaps? I am fully geared and wiling to leave my bike bike behind and continue by foot if necessary. It's very hard to get real info because locals seems to be bit over cautious, when it comes to tourists.
0 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Re: Wakhan corridor.

Post by bwv812 »

The Afghan embassy in Dushanbe should know if the border is closed, and the consulate in Khorog definitely will. As far as I know the border crossing by Ratm/Langar has never been open to foreigners, and I've never heard anyone successfully crossing there: Ishkashim has been the only/closest entry point to the Afghan Wakhan.
0 x

funkyboots

Post by funkyboots »

If you can't get through to the Afghan consulate in Khorog, you could try contacting the PECTA office in Khorog or Pamir Lodge GH there - phone numbers probably in LP guidebook- or Hanis GH in Ishkashim - all of these may be able to tell you if they have had travellers who have crossed that border recently. I was in the Wakhan end of April and the border was open at that point, I met a guy who got his visa in Khorog while I was there. Obviously things can change quickly, but would be worth checking the places mentioned above. Good luck :)
0 x

meika_poika

Post by meika_poika »

Ok. It seems that I can only get this info from Khorog. Afghan embassy in Dushanbe didn't know. In Dushanbe they said the price of the visa issued in 1 day is 200usd. And you need support letter from your own embassy when applying visa. Finland doesn't have embassy in Dushanbe but I will meet consular of German embassy today and see what they say.
0 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Post by bwv812 »

In Khorog the visa price should be between $35-70, depending on whether they do it officially and you pay at the bank or they ask for cash and pocket some. If they ask for cash the price is negotiable... when I was there they wanted $50 for a visa and $50 for urgent processing, but I heard from people who paid $35 at the bank and got their visa same day, so I ended up paying $70, which is what the embassy in Dushanbe wanted for 3-day processing (keep in mind this is from 2012, though). They normally issue visas within a few hours, no supporting documents required.

Although the embassy staff in Dushanbe were true idiots when I was there (which is why I ended up getting my visa in Khorog), even they should know what border points are open.
0 x

exploreout

Wakhan Corridor

Post by exploreout »

http://caravanistan.com/forum/viewtopic ... 5&start=10
^ I just found this post mentioning Taliban attacks in the area... Isn't that the entry point to Wakhan?
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Wakhan Corridor

Post by steven »

Yes, regarding security in afghanistan i have no advice to give. The situation is always changing.

I have never been there. Let that be my advice.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Edmund

Situation in Afgan Wakhan 2018

Post by Edmund »

Hi!

I'm planning a trip to the stans and I'm about to start the visa process. I'd like to go in March - June. I'd also like to visit the Wakhan corridor in around May.
Has anyone here traveled there recently? What is the safety situation like?
I really don't mind stepping out of my comfort zone - I hitchhiked around Iran and Iraq this summer, as well as Lebanon last month (which was honestly the craziest of the three).
So as long as the chances of getting captured and killed by taliban are rather low, I think I'll go for it.
What do you think? Is the situation in the Wakhan the same as in the past few years or has it changed recently?
Also, I read that the locals don't have much access to medicine, so it might helpful to bring some basic medicine. What would you recommend? And any ideas how do I communicate to them what it's used for? since I'm guessing that practically no one speaks English and the literacy rate isn't high either.

Thank you for any info, ideas or suggestions!
Ed
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Wakhan corridor: security and access Q&A

Post by steven »

Hi Ed,

last I heard (last summer) from a tour operator working in Afghanistan, he said he doesn't stay overnight anymore in Ishkashim on the Afghan side since Taliban is too close by. They just go straight to Wakhan corridor. Once you are there it is safe as it has always been. AFAIK the situation is still the same. June is still some time away of course.
1 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Mad or Nomad

Re: Wakhan corridor: security and access Q&A

Post by Mad or Nomad »

Hi
Does anyone have any up-to-date info on crossing into the Afghan side of the Wakhan Corridor from Tajikistan?

Thanks
Andy
0 x