Bringing in medication and needles

All about Uzbekistan.
Lisa and Michael

Bringing in medication and needles

Post by Lisa and Michael »

Hi,
soon we'll cross the border to Uzbekistan by train from Almaty.
I'm a bit worried after having read so much about crazy custom rules...
So- I'm a nurse on a year-long trip, also to quite remote places. That's why we've quite a bit of medication with us, mostly cold/diarrhea etc stuff, but also antibiotics and diamox. And also a set of syringes, needles and things like that. I don't have a prescription as my doctor mostly gave me leftover stuff. Also not in boxes.
If necessary, I could drop everything in Almaty, but intending to do the Pamir Highway, I'd be, like surely every nurse, quite reassured having my own sterile stuff.
The only real control I had so far was on the Ukrainian train, and the officer believed me as I could tell spontaneously "this is for that, that's for this, and I'll be trekking in Nepal...".
What are your experiences? If they control and just take away something, ok, but could I get real problems?
Happy travels,
Lisa

Ps: transiting through Tashkent airport next week, but that should be no problem, as our luggage will be checked through, I suppose...
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Bringing in medication and needles

Post by steven »

If you do not have medication with codeine I would not worry about it.

Codeine is illegal in Uzbekistan, so make sure you have a really good explanation for that one. Otherwise, custos controls have been vastly simplified since 2018, tourists are being welcomed.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Lisa and Michael

Re: Bringing in medication and needles

Post by Lisa and Michael »

Thanks Steven.
It seems that we choose a good time to travel in Uzbekistan this year...
1 x