Khan Tengri base camp trek - anyone hiked both way without helicopter?

All about Kyrgyzstan.
mrwakett

Khan Tengri base camp trek - anyone hiked both way without helicopter?

Post by mrwakett »

Hey guys!

We am looking at the option to do the Khan Tengri base camp trek hiking both ways without using the helicopter as we are not sure if we can get a one-way ride back without having a booked tour and guide. I have contacted the company but did not receive any reply, so I wanted to see if one of you guys have hiked both ways?

I read that landscape wise, it would be a bit boring for most hiking back the same way, but for me it does not matter, i would love mountain landscapes all the time even if I hike them back and forth multiple times.

We are both on the higher end in terms of speed and will have crampons with us, but no ice axe. As far as I read, ice axes and ropes are not needed, but hearing first hand from someone here would certainly help a bit with the planning.

Cheers,
Chris
0 x
106 countries and hopefully soon starting to count again! Chris on Tour

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Khan Tengri base camp trek - anyone hiked both way without helicopter?

Post by steven »

Are you talking about the approach from the Kyrgyz side?

I guess hiking guides probably did that before. From tourists I haven't heard such a thing yet.

Which company did you contact? Ak-Sai I presume? They own the helicopter. They are flaky, especially when it comes to individual tourists, there is little interest from them. They focus on big groups.

Here is a good trek report if you haven't read it yet: https://caravanistan.com/kyrgyzstan/thi ... /inylchek/
1 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

mrwakett

Post by mrwakett »

Hi steven!

Thanks for the link, i think it was one of the first ones I checked and by now I must have read all available trip reports :) Sadly did not find a single one from someone doing it 100% independent and even walking back the same way again.

Yea we planned to come from Jyrgalan after entering the country from Charyn Canyon.
0 x

Pamirski
Tajikistan expert
Tajikistan expert

Post by Pamirski »

What is the problem about hiking in and out, if you get in, you get out. Crampons are certainly a good idea.
We've only experience of walking to Merzbacher Hut and Lake, even horses do this way. But that was in 2004, helicopter was not so reliable that time and we therefore did not use it, as it was cancelled the day we wanted to take it.
0 x

mrwakett

Post by mrwakett »

Only problem would be that it will take a bit more time and we would not be able to climb peak lenin anymore, unless we are super lucky with the weather (second week of sept) :) Seeing videos of the helicopter crashing on youtube is also a reason towards walking :)
0 x