Self-driving in Azerbaijan by car or motorbike Q&A

The place for all visa questions and embassy reports. Expert: Crazydre
Forum rules
Before asking a visa question, make sure you have read the relevant visa article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/visa/

Before submitting an embassy report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Relevant topics are linked to from the visa pages on the site.

Thank you!
BackroadVagrants

Self-driving in Azerbaijan by car or motorbike Q&A

Post by BackroadVagrants »

Hey there,

the stupid Euro4 rule is still in place in Azerbaijan and heavily enforced at this crossing. Tried to bring our car in on August 28, 2016. They asked for a US$10,000 deposit, which we refused to pay. Also 72 hour transit was not possible since we did not have an onward visa. Corruption does not seem to be a problem at this crossing.

So we left the car behind and went backpacking for a week. Crossing on foot went smoothly. Georgia side is quick and friendly. Azerbaijan side takes some time..

Full report here: http://backroadvagrants.com/travel-guid ... an-border/

Cheers
Anna & Heiner
1 x

karenandmike

Re: Georgia-Azerbaijan border crossing at Lagodekhi/Balakan

Post by karenandmike »

can i ask if i wish to cross from baku ( arriving by ferry) through to georgia (no visa needed) the azeris will give the 72 hour car transit? we already have tourist visas through caravanistan.
we and the car have uk documents.
thanks for any advice.
0 x

BackroadVagrants

Post by BackroadVagrants »

karenandmike wrote:can i ask if i wish to cross from baku ( arriving by ferry) through to georgia (no visa needed) the azeris will give the 72 hour car transit? we already have tourist visas through caravanistan.
we and the car have uk documents.
thanks for any advice.
I cannot give you a definite answer, but that should work. You have to go somewhere when your visa expires and Georgia is the only visa free option.
0 x

karenandmike

Post by karenandmike »

thanks. we will find out soon. next week in turkmenistan then ferry to baku.
0 x

roro

Self-driving in Azerbaijan: Q&A

Post by roro »

Hi fellow travellers,

I need infos about crossing through Az. with my car (from Iran to Georgia, so less than 3 days in the country).
If I have an E-visa, can I obtain a transit visa for my car, or do I need to get it in advance (where? what price?).

If somebody have info/experience about this topic, please let me know.

RR.
0 x

Toekan

Re: Azerbadjian with my car

Post by Toekan »

I was going to ask exactly the same question! So if anyone knows the answer, that would be great. :)
0 x

Persistence

Post by Persistence »

You can take your car without a problem. The customs at the border will charge you according to the engine capacity. The period of time will be relative to your visa duration. Just the same as other borders. It is not very expensive, especially if it is not a big engine.
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Hi Persistence, I assume your car was not older than 10 years old. For people with a car older than 10 years, there is a different regime.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

roro

Post by roro »

Thanks a lot for this reply!

RR.
0 x

roro

Post by roro »

"Hi Persistence, I assume your car was not older than 10 years old. For people with a car older than 10 years, there is a different regime"
My car is 11 years old, what is this different regime?
0 x